Twin Trailstars project(s) 1997 Mk1, now Racing Sidekick :S

MK1 build or MK2 build?

• Mk1

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Mk2

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
That looks pretty smart...love the White Bros forks. I've never owned a pair but always thought that they were good looking forks an nicely made.

Much love for the mk1! :) thanks. same bike virtually but so different. It's great to have a hardcore 1997 bike almost finished to look at! Bang in the middle of my retro and moderns. :cool: Ace. I'd still like to do he mk2 but I'd be actually nuts to do both right now. :LOL: :oops:

Extra bump in chainstay isn't pretty is it but I think these cromo BMX cranks were coming in and fat tyres, so just clearance for the crank pedal mounts I think, will have to check the other side...

Edit - also I've noticed that DMR and Kinesis seem to feature a lot of this chainstay crimping, the MK3 TS I had very briefly was a bit ugly, fat horrid crimped stays. Prob rides well and would have fit well as a proper trail bike but was a bit fuglyish.
IMAG0156.jpg

getin":1v3v7nn0 said:
Build both bikes,

MK1 as pub bike

MK2 as trail bike geared and FS.

I've run out of parts :D well,.. really no rush to sell or build the MK2 at the mo, I'm going to see how all 6ft2 of me gets on with the MK1 fitment and handling first and go from there. I seem to have more bikes than spare time. I do still really like the MK2...

Re: Twin Trailstars project(s) 1997 Mk1 and NOS Mk2 beginnin

OK update! Dragged it out to see where we are upto and fit the bargain chain, and list the probs/work to be done.
After this, I tightened up, fitted a top tube pad to hold the cables in and went round the block!

Wow, they really do feel nice to ride, seems what they say is right. Must be around 30lbs, but it rides really nicely and lighter than it is. This was all with a slightly flat rear tyre(!) but with weight over the front, it still felt nice. And this of course is with the list of wobbles highlighted below. Yep I am inspired! I didnt even feel too big on it at my height, though I expect on an XC ride the size and one gear would get tiring...

P2185476.jpg

Sort of all there! Tensioner is one of final bits needed...
P2185481.jpg

Those olde V12's that still need a refurb badly!
P2185480.jpg

Bargain Rust Buster slimline KMC, seems to have galvanised grease or something, should be ideal with this as go to mucky local business bike! :) Also holey Gusset Chainring matches holey Superstar steel cog.
P2185477.jpg

Front old Hope needs more juice and a few tweeks.
P2185478.jpg

Oh yeah and my retro self bo11oxed up the tensioner bolt on the fork axle! Any ideas for something similar? I thought of cutting a slot in it for a flat screw driver.

So there you are, some greasy hard work left to do but it's all there just about! Seems to work for me, any constructive comments or suggestions welcome. :)

Good stuff, I love the forks.

Get it finished!

reanimation":ybsrlduj said:
Mk1=6.8lbs Mk2=6.9lbs

wow, :shock: that is heavy - modern XC carbon fibre frames are weighing in at under 1 kg, or 2.2 lb old money.

02gf74":1w07hpin said:
reanimation":1w07hpin said:
Mk1=6.8lbs Mk2=6.9lbs

wow, :shock: that is heavy - modern XC carbon fibre frames are weighing in at under 1 kg, or 2.2 lb old money.

True, but not for same purpose? Wouldn't take this to a XC race!

Back