Help Requested - Value of/Info About a Raleigh

Beez

Retro Newbie
Hello - I work for a fire department west of Seattle, WA. Today we received a donation of an older Raleigh bike. Unfortunately, I know nothing about bikes. However, I've been asked to obtain a valuation and to try and figure out the best venue to sell it.

While researching online, I stumbled onto your forum.

According to the woman who donated it, her husband purchased it (used) in 1973.

On the stem (?), it says "Cresta" and below that "SVL". The logo on the front says "Nottingham England."

Overall, it appears to be in decent shape---plenty of nicks and scratches in the paint, but nothing major. If the tires could hold air, it could be ridden away.

Any ideas what year it was built and it's current value? Also, is eBay my best shot to sell it or is there a vintage bike site in the U.S. that might be better?

Thank you in advance!

PS - Apologies for the poor photo quality.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 459
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 459
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 459
Crespera lugs mark it out as a Carlton from the late 60's early 70's.........posting up the frame number will nail it. Carlton Corsa perhaps?

Shaun

Thank you Shaun.

I found oldbike.eu and now realize I'm asking a big favor with this request. I appreciate your reply.

Tomorrow, I'll revisit the bike (stored at work) and see if I can find a frame number somewhere. If so, I'll post a photo or two.

Thanks, again.

Beez

Sorry for the delay in updating this post.

I'm attaching a couple more photos. One shows the frame number: 4347346.

Does this provide confirmation of Shaun's opinion that it might be a Carlton?

Thank you.

Beez

Aha! I found a number stamped at the base of the rear bar on the left hand side--- D5976. According to another site I found, that would be a model built in 1969.

Beez

Not sure If I am missing something obvious here, but that is a Raleigh badge on the front! And as they were all made in Nottingham at that time that's your make. :)

The model? No idea without further research, but give me a couple of days and I'm sure I'll find out. I like a challenge!

Vimes :cool:

Midlife, yes the lugs are the same as on the links you provided (Crespera)--see photos.

Finding the year of manufacture (1969) really opened things up.

I believe it's a 1969 Raleigh Carlton Competition Model DL140 in bronze green. The frame is 23-1/2" and wheels are 27". I believe it retailed for about $159 USD in 1969.

Thanks for your help.

Beez

Attachments

• More Raleigh Photos 002Compressed.jpg
    More Raleigh Photos 002Compressed.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 300
  • More Raleigh Photos 003Compressed.jpg
    More Raleigh Photos 003Compressed.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 300
Blimey that's in good nick :)

Is that a raleigh USA Model ?

I worked in a UK Raleigh Shop in 1973-78 and we heard of "Raleigh America" but never saw any of their brochures or any of thier bikes.....

Only 10 years younger than me............

Shaun

Latest posts

Back