New Silly Question. Mavic Help!

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Please look at the bottom of the page.

1. How easy is it to stick a tub on to the rim? Is glue better than tape?

2. There aren't specific bottom brackets for mountain bikes and road bikes are there? What I mean is, is the taper different for doubles an triples?

3. Would a Mavic rear mech be able to cope with a 38/53 and 13-28 gear range? I know the type of mech is vital but damned if I can see any part number on it.

4. Edit, thought of another! If a frame is designed to take allen bolt brake calipers, would I do any damage by using bolt on calipers?

I know that's four (five really I suppose) questions but if you can help on any of the answers, I would be grateful.

I can only help with (1). Until last week I was a tubs virgin. But I managed to tape two tubs onto mavic GP4 rims using Velox tape. Lookup a video on the "pen method" on youtube, it works a treat. 10 mins per rim, easy.

GazK":18cf4gvp said:
I can only help with (1). Until last week I was a tubs virgin. But I managed to tape two tubs onto mavic GP4 rims using Velox tape. Lookup a video on the "pen method" on youtube, it works a treat. 10 mins per rim, easy.

Tape seems to be much easier. I'm watching some dude from Zipp glue a tyre on and so far it has taken 36 hours!

As for number 4, it's common to chop the brake bolt down and use an allen key bolt .....

Shaun

my rear tube came unstucked the other day after 2 hours on very wet roads .

it was stuck with tape .

not sure i it was down to me or not , as the front one is still glued .

1. It's not hard to do, just time consuming. I've never used tape, but understand that it's OK, but not as good as glue

2. The tapers are the same, unless you're comparing shimano (JIS) and campagnolo (ISO) BBs. All shimano BBs have the same taper, regardless of spindle length (as do campagnolo BBs)

3. I'm not sure a mavic road mech would take a 28... if this is for your winter bike, I'd look for something else to not risk trashing the mavic, unless it's already well past its best.

4. You can cut off the excess bolt and use an allen "hidden" bolt (you might need to tap some more thread onto the bolts, depending how much they already have), or just use them as they are, but make sure you fit washers between the nuts and frame/fork.

As for 4, if you fit a spacer/shim of some kind to fit in the allen bolt recess then normal bolt style caliper brakes work fine. I find a short chainring nut works well ;)

Rather than clutter the forum with new threads, I thought I would recycle this one.

Do I have any parts missing from the Mavic mech shown in the picture? I know HOW the damn thing is supposed to attach to the frame but damned if I can work out how to make it happen. What I call the angle of dangle stop screw just won't go into the correct position. Are there any parts missing?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Mavic.JPG
    Mavic.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 692
Iwasgoodonce":84yomt9o said:
Rather than clutter the forum with new threads, I thought I would recycle this one.

Do I have any parts missing from the Mavic mech shown in the picture? I know HOW the damn thing is supposed to attach to the frame but damned if I can work out how to make it happen. What I call the angle of dangle stop screw just won't go into the correct position. Are there any parts missing?

Thanks.

No parts missing, I have same mech. Ensure the retaining bolt (middle left piece on photo) is butted up to the stop on the top piece of the derailleur (where the frame securing bolt goes). Said retaining bolt then buts up against the stop on your frame gear hanger.

Hope this makes sense, if not I can photo mine attached to a frame...

Cheers

actually ( :oops: ) there may be a small retaining clasp missing that holds the main frame bolt and retaining bolt to the derailleur.

See pic of said clip and where the various sections line up so the derailleur holds under chain and cable tension.

Attachments

• IMAG0169.jpg
    IMAG0169.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 672
  • IMAG0168.jpg
    IMAG0168.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 672
Back