1992 Saracen Kili Racer [Big picture update - Jan 2010]

The Race Elite has the same frameset as the 1992 Kili Racer.

Saracen often sold off surplus frames as 'Special Edition' or 'Limited Edition' variations the following year. These rarely appeared in the catalogues.

In this case the Race Elite was sold in 1993 with a mixture of usually lower end parts, whereas the 1992 Kili Racer mostly had a Deore LX groupset.
I've seen a few of the 93 bikes with Altus drivetrains, along LX brakes and DX hubs. They often had a Zoom stem instead of the Ritchey Forcelite.
I think that with these particular bikes it was a case of no two were the same as they came out of Saracen's Warwickshire factory.
Your's looks like it has an Exage 500LX front mech.
As I say, a real mixture.

The longer head-tube suggests that it's a bigger frame size than mine.

wow thanks paul thats pretty much made my mind up haha. seeing as they put all surplus on it think ill just bring it all up to date rather than keeping the low end stuff on or might just replace the altus bits for lx/dx parts from the time, well gives me a few options. yes it is the 500lx mech i got an lx rear mech for it the other week and fitted that and it works a treat, many thanks for the info its a great help Rob :D

Nice. Start a thread and show us a few more pictures.

Looks like a 20" frame as that headtube looks like its 15cm?

drystonepaul":133xcppf said:
September 2009

After deciding I had to have an early 90's e-stay I managed to get hold of this frameset a few weeks ago from Kaiser (thank you).
I've finally got around to building it up for some riding.

In terms of components I've tried to keep it as close to the period correct and original factory spec as possible with M550 LX mechs and M650 DX cranks, brakes and shifters.
I also got hold of some Tioga Farmer John's Cousins from Chris667 (thanks also) to complete the 1992 skinwall aesthetic. Plus they are still a good set of tyres IMO.
The seatpost and shim are a temporary measure until I find something more appropriate in 30.2mm flavour. The bars are also modern Ritcheys as I wouldn't trust a second-hand set of the originally specced 140 gram 'Ritchey Force Lites' with my life etc.
I also have the original decal set for this bike which will be applied once it's been re-powdercoated over the Winter.

These photos were taken on the maiden test run ahead of an NWA retro meet at Llandegla this weekend.

92KiliRacer01.jpg

92KiliRacer02s.jpg
92KiliRacer03s.jpg
92KiliRacer04s.jpg

I am already quite pleased with the way it handles despite the weight added by the frame design. But that's not important because I love the way it looks.

-----------------------------------------------------
1992 Catalogue page

92KiliRacerCat.jpg

My Kili Racer has been ridden several times now and has quickly become my favourite bike. Here are some pictures from various rides:

Llandegla - October 2009

NWA-Llandegla-2.jpg

Cannock Turkey Twizzler - December 2009

Saracen-Kili-Racer_Cannock.jpg

Turkey-Twizzler.jpg

January 2009

I've spent a bit of time working on my Saracen including finally getting the decals applied and a bit of polish in time for it's entry into the BoTM Saracen special. I've decided to keep the original red powder coat for now and keep an eye on the bare metal under the BB.
After a bit of research and comparison I'm convinced that this is an early 1992 model, based on the dropouts and cable routing. These are identical to the 1992 catalogue image, and are similar to the 1991 frames.

Anyway here are a few more images in the snow.

92KiliRacer05.jpg

92KiliRacer06.jpg

92KiliRacer07m.jpg
92KiliRacer08m.jpg

92KiliRacer09m.jpg
92KiliRacer10m.jpg

92KiliRacer11m.jpg
92KiliRacer12m.jpg

92KiliRacer13m.jpg
92KiliRacer14m.jpg

92KiliRacer15m.jpg
92KiliRacer16m.jpg

92KiliRacer17m.jpg
92KiliRacer18m.jpg

92KiliRacer19m.jpg
92KiliRacer20m.jpg

ive just bought a kili racer of ebay the group set is deor and the wheels ,tyres and stem are all ritchey its red in color but the cables run along the the side of the top tube and where every thing is black on yours mine is all silver and its had a set of rock shocks added and the head stock look to be a lot bigger than yours I want a set of decals any body know where I can get any plz

hello I know this is a very old post but could you plz tell me where you got your decals from as I am in the process of restoring my kili racer and can I find decals for it nope but I have found loads of rocking hoarse sh~t if any one needs any good job by the way

killicomprestoride":2vybe52s said:
hello I know this is a very old post but could you plz tell me where you got your decals from as I am in the process of restoring my kili racer and can I find decals for it nope but I have found loads of rocking hoarse sh~t if any one needs any good job by the way

Gil_m on here does them.

Best contact him through his website: http://www.thecycleshed.co.uk/

Direct email: gil@thecycleshed.co.uk

Put a thread up with your bike please!

Back