Weight of Hope road hub

Slimtim

Retro Guru
Hello

Just a quick question, can anyone tell me how heavy one of these hubs is please?

It looks like this one:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=701711

The reason for my question is rather long-winded but revolves around 'to rebuild or not rebuild' - the hubs are currently in a wheelset that seems to be very heavy and I'm try to work out if the hubs are the reason for the weight or not. (If they'renot then they will get a new lease of life - as they are running perfectly - in a new set of rims with light spokes etc....

Yes, I could remove the hub but I am hoping that someone has one sitting on the shelf which they can put on the scales.

I did Google the question and expect the answer to be 290-320g but that doesn't seem to reflect the weight of the whole wheel.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

Mine weight 325 and 324g.

They are the same as the MTB hubs.
These where the slightly newer design to the older flat flange design in the picture, I think the older are a fraction lighter.
The weight is pretty much the 4 bearing cartridges so find lighter versions and you can bring the weight down, or drill some of the spacers,
Also some might not have the Ti freehub body, but these are usually the later or replacement ones. I have an early one and it free hub feels to be ALU as its not Ti, dints with the cogs and where the poor black ano/paint isn't on it it doesn't rust.
But cannot check until then.
They are quite light in the retro-mtb era, not sure in the retro-roadie era.
More specs are in the archive.

Fluffy, that is great. Mine has lost the sticker that was wrapped around the centre of the hub but I will check the freehub body tonight - are you saying that if it isn't pitted then it is Ti?

Anyway, I think that the culprits must be the rim and the spokes!

Slimtim":je65yf8g said:
Fluffy, that is great. Mine has lost the sticker that was wrapped around the centre of the hub but I will check the freehub body tonight - are you saying that if it isn't pitted then it is Ti?

Anyway, I think that the culprits must be the rim and the spokes!
Spokes should be easy, just measure them and look the gauge up.
Rim, somebody might know.
Ti looks sharp and shiny Ti colour. Steel I think all seem to be a dull to black colour.

Someone with road knowledge may know more.

FluffyChicken":zz7a8t5l said:
Mine weight 325 and 324g.
These where the slightly newer design to the older flat flange design in the picture, I think the older are a fraction lighter.

Is mine (pic below) a 'Glide' also, it has a slightly different shape to the one in the link in the OP?
hoperear_zps0c11ee16.jpg

Also interested what model this is?
hopefront32h3_zps9f1dcdc1.jpg

The front hub with the fat barrel is, I think, the "suspension" model - slightly beefier (same axle diameter though IIRC) and sold for MTBs but fine for road wheels too. My 'cross bike has the "lightweight" version with a much slimmer centre.

David

mine are the newer flange shape as you have posted at 135mm OLD I call them the wavy design :) Yes they are Ti-Glides.

The front looks like the Suspension model but I think a bit heavier than normal, could be the metal grippers and the end caps or its a beefier road radial version but I think its other MTB version.

FluffyChicken":i2myxslv said:
mine are the newer flange shape as you have posted at 135mm OLD I call them the wavy design :) Yes they are Ti-Glides.

No mine are 130 OLN too, I had planned get them built into a wheelset for the road but used modern Novatech hubs instead (built by Malcolm from Cycle Clinic, forum member bm0p700f on this site, top wheels and great to deal with, free plug there). Anyway thanks for the info, now I know what these are called.

Also just out of interest, what are these older ones called, I have them built into CXP33s in my one of my modernish Giant bikes.
hopecxp331_zps58f6d44d.jpg

hopecxp333_zps911ee569.jpg

Top is a lightweight, I don't think it's quite minimalistic enough to be the ultra-lightweight
rear is just called a 'screw on'
They may well be a similar age to the other one.

oh and that suspension before is about the right weight at ~160g, was thinking of something else lightweight (about 100g)

one mins
Can add these
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... hive/Hope/
the road ones are not there. I'll pop them up after I type this

Back