Booby traps at Dovestone reservoir

We ride that service road up onto chew, i think what lies behind this could be that technically it's a beauty spot with mountain hare and birds of prey and from what i've witnessed ('yo....take it with ya') not all bike riders are too concerned about blatanly littering the gaff (rangers/guides within eyeballing distance)....no justification for the traps by any stretch but we've never had any mither from anyone. I'd think the speed some folk ride down the service road also upsets folk, one of my party does it having to slalom walkers on the up, funny he's never so keen to show the same determined rideing when ascending.

Corsarob...thats not your little mob shouting about the 22 min record last summer was it?..it's at 18mins 14 sec's now (for now) ;)

konatime":2m8mzgr0 said:
We ride that service road up onto chew, i think what lies behind this could be that technically it's a beauty spot with mountain hare and birds of prey and from what i've witnessed ('yo....take it with ya') not all bike riders are too concerned about blatanly littering the gaff (rangers/guides within eyeballing distance)....no justification for the traps by any stretch but we've never had any mither from anyone. I'd think the speed some folk ride down the service road also upsets folk, one of my party does it having to slalom walkers on the up, funny he's never so keen to show the same determined rideing when ascending.

Corsarob...thats not your little mob shouting about the 22 min record last summer was it?..it's at 18mins 14 sec's now (for now) ;)

nope,not me,(i`m much faster than that)lol

corsarob":1e94uhke said:
konatime":1e94uhke said:

nope,not me,(i`m much faster than that)lol

Probably :LOL: , the Dukenfield mob i chatted with had simply rode down the hill to have a do at it, we've a hilly 17mile to cover for the opportunity. Take a car loaded bike to it and it's thrashable. Beautiful and quiet when the lights just rising or falling.

Had an oppo have a ringle fascia stem plate crack right at the end of the descent, few months back(so near and yet so far)...not been back since.

I live in Saddleworth and have ridden the trails in question several times a week, year in/ year out, winter/ summer (you can't tell the difference here). The local riders and ramblers have a good understanding, especially as it's a close community. The Local mountain Rescue actually took the time to phone me at work to warn me about the traps, knowing I'd be out with some other riders that night.

The people who give the MTB-ers the biggest grief are the out-of-town weekend walkers that think that they're on some kind of crusade to rid the world of bikers. You probably know the type: big boots, gaiters, leggings, serious gore-tex, hat, dual walking poles and enough gear to mount a serious Everest attempt from the Peak District.

What many of these weekenders don't realise is that local riders are pretty handy people: We know the area very very well, we know the local weather extremes and carry appropriate kit and first aid. Recently the myself and the lads I ride with had to fish a rambler out of a gully on Saddleworth Moor. He'd gone A over T when his knee collapsed whilst scambling. He was upside down, head first in a freezing stream, unable to move. We fished him out, phoned the mountain rescue, wrapped him in a foil blanket and waited for the (excessively coooool) air-ambulance to come and collect him.

We're not just a bunch of dickheads: Most of the lads I ride with have families, their own businesses, I am medically qualified and a member of the Royal College of Surgeons, as is another of the lads. We've grown up with mountain biking as it's been around for some time now.

Cheers - be careful out there!
Adey

Back