Kona Explosif I.D.

Rampage":1j61wv6d said:
Interesting, the previous owner said it was like this when he bought it in 1994. So it was respayed within 4 years of being new, wonder why?

Why not. I'm quite amazed at the amount of old enthusiast bikes that have not been resprayed. Some of my mates used to respray their bikes for fun and a different look. They where just frames back then, not historical collectors items.

I don't think so as the serial number would have been removed when it was painted I'd have thought?!
It is strange though!

Explosif

Aye that's normally what they did,the new owner mite not have liked the paint coz if you look at the one in the catalogue there's a lot of pink :)

FluffyChicken":2qpppz9k said:
Rampage":2qpppz9k said:
Interesting, the previous owner said it was like this when he bought it in 1994. So it was respayed within 4 years of being new, wonder why?

Why not. I'm quite amazed at the amount of old enthusiast bikes that have not been resprayed. Some of my mates used to respray their bikes for fun and a different look. They where just frames back then, not historical collectors items.

Maybe it's me then, thinking about it, I do consider the re-sale value of everything that I own whenever I use it and go out of my way to avoid scratches etc!

Rampage":1cnrzo2n said:
What's your opinion on the paint? The decals obviously aren't origional, are the decals on these normally under lacquer or on top and can be removed? I'm wondering if the paint is origional, what do you think of the marks at the bottom of the seattube that look like it could have been a tubing sticker?
It looks like a respray. I think if it was original, i.e., if Paul Brodie had painted it, it would be a bit more flamboyant. The shape of the disappeared sticker is different from the Tange Prestige Concept sticker, and also I believe Kona always placed the Concept sticker further up the seat tube.

It could be that you can read the serial number so clearly because it was painted rather than powdercoated, as paint is thinner. If it was repainted in the early 90s, it would most likely have been painted, as powder coating was less widely available for bike back then, especially with the additional decoration in this case. It might look a lot better if it was clean actually.

After looking at the picture more closely of the bike in the catalogue i'd agree with Anthony there looks like theres a sticker at the top of the seat tube that could be the tange concept one. Definitely think its been resprayed aswell coz going by the one in the catalogue and the ones i own there covered in paint especially my lavadome. I always look at that bike and think it was done on a late Friday afternoon when they were in a hurry to leave work coz it looks like they've went to town on it with paint splatter ha ha.

Quick question rampage,what size is the headset is it 1" or 1"1/8? I'm just going by my 1990 lavadome and firemountain and they've got 1" headsets not sure if the explosif was the same but they went to 1"1/8 in 1991.

Rampage":3eu1jwp0 said:
I don't think so as the serial number would have been removed when it was painted I'd have thought?!
It is strange though!

Why would you remove the serial number because you re-painted a frame?
It would be an odd thing to do, surely?

Andy R":2d585g9m said:
Rampage":2d585g9m said:
It is strange though!

Why would you remove the serial number because you re-painted a frame?
It would be an odd thing to do, surely?

This was in reply to someone suggesting it might have had a dodgy past! ie stolen.

Thanks Spanky and Anthony, I stripped it last night, the bare frame weighs 4.65lb, the headtube is 1".
Assuming Kona measure from centre BB - centre top tube it is a 16", with the top tube and chainstay length being different between 1990 and 1991, it is the 1990 sizes.
Also on the rear brake boss, I found turquoise paint (primer?) and a small piece that is black with a red splatter on it.

Back