98 Kona Kilauea - Rigid with no P2 small updates..

Midorimage

Old School Hero
I live in Japan, but summer in the States. I wanted a bike that I could use while I am here. I have always lusted after the steel Hot and Explosifs that I see here. This winter I put a rather modest bid 1998 Kona Kilauea that I saw on feebay. I was shocked that I won. I decided to go rigid because of the simplicity and I don't have any rigid bikes in the small stable that I have.
I spent over two months looking for P2 forks but with no avail. I got my hands on a 500 gram or so Ritchey Carbon WCS fork and decided to try to make a weight weenie bike.

Most of the parts I got from ebay or Pink Bike. I had only one major problem.. the Ritchey Carbon Fork was not new as stated in the auction.
It was installed once and cut.. worse yet it was very short. So I had to get a headset with a low stack height,, and the old school Syncros stem that I had was to tall, Luckily, it worked with the Ritchey headset and Bontrager stem.

I am now in upper Maine USA. will have more pictures soon.

main.php

I always thought a rigid Kona without P2s would be sacrilage but that looks very nice indeed :cool: . Loving the blue accents with the cable outers too - top job!. Currently kitting my 98 Explosif out with Ritchey parts but new 25.4mm bars are hard to find.

A new picture...

main.php

Got new wheels, V brakes, Pedals and a stem.. weighed on my bathroom scale came to about 22 1/2 pounds...

Here is the current spec list...

Kona Kilauea 1998 631 Reynolds

Fork - Ritchey WCS Carbon Rigid
Headset - Ritchey WCS
Stem- syntace f99
Handlebar - Answer Hyperlite
Grips - Ritchey WCS
Brakes - TRP M920
Levers - Sram 9.0 carbon
Shifters - Shimano Deore XT Thumb Shifters SL-M732
FD -Shimano XTR M900
RD-Shimano XTR M901