Your retro plans for 2013

Would love to get my two Gillotts done; 1 is to sell the other is to keep but inevitably I'll probably sell it....

Have a Harry Hall that is waiting for respray and building. Then I'll probably sell it ;)

More polishing and engraving.

Oh which means finishing the steel Omega build.

Build myself a road bike that I won't sell and soon, these bloody mountain bikes are painfully slow!

Open a part time bike (repair) shop. Continue with Stallion Cycles trying to build it into something substantial enough for me to be able to leave my current place of work.

Ride more than 20 miles for the entire year! I don't get much time for time in the saddle :(

Plan to get the Walvale done up mint in time for good weather. Then I hope to make a trip to the Isle of Mann on it, on the ferry for a few days and camp.

Anybody been before? Recommendations on Campsites, routes etc?

Cheers, Sean.

I'm going to host a Retro ride as well. I have a route in mind that is my regular training loop. I did it today in under two hours. Highlights can include:
Historic village of Brewood.
Cosford air base.
Charles I tree and hiding place.
A very short section of Roubaix style cobbles.
A cafe stop if required.

Details to be announced at some point! Distance between 30 and 35 miles. Not much climbing and no gear lower than 39 x 21 required.

1. Strip the Peugeot down, get the frame and forks blasted and powder coated red. New decals. Sell it.

2. Find a replacement retro frame that isn't a) Carbolite, b) too small, c) heavier than a Grifter

3. Put all the decent bits (and there's some very good stuff) from the Peugeot onto that.

4. Probably change my mind completely by mid-Feb.

great to see those retro ideas flowing!

my aim is to lose two stone and become skinny again! i'm hoping to go out to colorado in the spring and ride the rockies like i did several years ago, so that will give me something to aim for. the eddy merckx 7 eleven bike i'm building should be finished shortly and then i can get steamed into it again.

craig

ps the 1983 vitus sounds like something we should be seeing posted up on these pages!

:cool:

Family rubbish and work rubbish meant that I didn't have much motivation last year. I barely got out on the bikes at all and didn't do a lot of work on them either.

This year I want to get back into doing at least 10-15 miles most evenings. I've made a good start to it and I feel better already.

The two bikes I have are a Dawes Fox from 1979/80 and a Carlton Criterium from 1981. The Dawes is my "daily" and I've never found time to get the Carlton properly up and running.

Plans for the Carlton are to get it running and then sort out the few bits that are missing or wrong. If I like riding it I'll keep it and if I don't it'll be getting sold.

The Dawes will be getting treated to some period upgrades to make it nicer to use. Nothing too grand, it's an entry-level bike after all. I've made a good start on that already.

I don't need, or have room for, any more bikes but if anything appealing with a 25" frame turns up at a bargain price I'll probably go for it.

Objective 2013 -

I've a number of rides (4) planned locally with friends in Lincolnshire, beginning with a season starter in March setting off from Bardney (25 miles).

Travelling over to France in the summer for the Anjou Velo ride, and taking my 1952 Hobbs that did a tour of the Loire Valley in 1953 ridden by a family member.

Preparing for the riding of a stage of the Tour de France in 2014 - I am riding a stage of the 1984 Tour (1984 is the year I first got into and travelled to the TdF).

Restore my 1986 SBDU Raleigh that I bought new...after nearly 30 years it could with a little TLC.

Complete the front suspension rebuild on my 500E!

Roadking.

Iwasgoodonce":2vfudtcq said:
I'm going to host a Retro ride as well. I have a route in mind that is my regular training loop. I did it today in under two hours. Highlights can include:
Historic village of Brewood.
Cosford air base.
Charles I tree and hiding place.
A very short section of Roubaix style cobbles.
A cafe stop if required.

Details to be announced at some point! Distance between 30 and 35 miles. Not much climbing and no gear lower than 39 x 21 required.

Right - now I'm intrigued. Where are the cobbles? Can't place anywhere on any of my old training runs that had them.

David

P.S. Sorry I wasn't able to get out for a ride over Christmas, the 27th (which clashed with the RB meet) was the only day I could do. Settled for wet & muddy CX training around Rough Wood (in between Willenhall & Bloxwich) instead - good fun!

Oh dear. Sorry David. I may just have built it up to be something rather more impressive than they are! There are cobbles though. The ford was low enough yesterday for me to experience riding the Roubaix way!

The screen grab is a short section of the ride in question. You see the road running east/west at the bottom? That's the A5. Off to the right is Weston-Under-Lizard and the A41 round-a-bout. I have circled the section in question.

I think the tiny collection of building is called Burlington. I'm embarassed now!

Attachments

• Over Egged.jpg
    Over Egged.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 193
My plan is:

- finalise the gear on my Gran Sport
- dial in the bike fit
- ride my bike
- ride my bike
- ride my bike
- assuming the above three go well, break the bike down in the autumn and get Argos to consign the current awful botch paint job to history!

Back