Claud Butler : Project Neighbour

Doubledee

rBotM Winner
After seeing my exploits with my retro bikes my neighbour produced this from his garage and said could I get it back on the road for him. Naturally I jumped at the chance. It is dirty but most parts are in great condition and has 2 or 3 highlight components.

1. The frame is in lovely condition, some crazing on the enamel but great and has seamless legs from the head tube.
2. The steel 3 arm campag sport chainset is as rare as rocking horse poo! (I stole that comment from a previous poster!) and in ok condition, time to try the aluminium foil and vinegar trick
3. The chater lea pedals with stainless steel cages and tommy bar axles

Have a look at the pictures, any help with info and comments would be greatly appreciated. I'll post as I go along and we havent decided what to do with the build yet so Im in stripping and cleaning mode for a bit
DD ;-)

Attachments

• Main bike.jpg
    Main bike.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 1,660
  • Saddle.jpg
    Saddle.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Gear levers.jpg
    Gear levers.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Pedal left crank.jpg
    Pedal left crank.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Head tube.jpg
    Head tube.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Rear wheel.jpg
    Rear wheel.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Chainset.jpg
    Chainset.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 1,660
Thats a lovely bike, especially those seamless lugs, never seen that before.

I always wonder how many of these types of bikes must be lying around in garages over the country, or tipped by people who dont know how they can still be used and enjoyed.

Cant wait to see it cleaned up.

Hi, nice example of a real claud, should rebuild to something special. It would be nice to give it an identity, model wise, whats the serial number on the bottom bracket, I would guess it starts with a 9 or 50 ( maybe completely wrong ). From there, its up to you component wise, the pedals are the business, take your time with them, they are well worth restoring. Check out the readers bikes on the classic lightweight website for ideas. Its doesn't have to be period perfect ( can be expensive ), but I think a bike like yours should look vintage. Any questions or help just ask. Terry

Is it now your bke or still belongs to them ? If that's the case then a good clean and new perishables only :)

I came acrossa few CB frames from the 50/60's with innovative features :)

Shaun

OldTel":3ruxse4a said:
Hi, nice example of a real claud, should rebuild to something special. It would be nice to give it an identity, model wise, whats the serial number on the bottom bracket, I would guess it starts with a 9 or 50 ( maybe completely wrong ). From there, its up to you component wise, the pedals are the business, take your time with them, they are well worth restoring. Check out the readers bikes on the classic lightweight website for ideas. Its doesn't have to be period perfect ( can be expensive ), but I think a bike like yours should look vintage. Any questions or help just ask. Terry

Frame numbers on the bottom bracket are 515 and 2513. Spent all day cleaning , I'll post a picture of the clean frame later. All looks good so far. Not my bike but I do get to strongly influence the build...

Stripped the bike down and cleaned the frame, regreased the headset, no pitting to that or the BB. The frame is lightly crazed all over but sound and looks good no rust and true. The drive side of the chain set came off ok and is in very good condition just some minor surface rust, but the left hand crank has damage to the chrome but still looks good. I took the left hand crank off with the bottom bracket as the dust cap is rusted in, I'll have a go at that this week. I reckon the brakes will reach a 700C but obviously designed for 27 inch wheels. Very satisfying...but in trouble as I spent too long doing it, how time flies!

Attachments

• Clean frame.jpg
    Clean frame.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,593
  • Clean frame front.jpg
    Clean frame front.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,593
  • Clean fram rear.jpg
    Clean fram rear.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,593
Hi, that's come up a treat hasn't it, the serial number points to 1951, and the model should be the Avant Coureur, but from a catalogue perspective its short of the spearpoint extensions. I think you need to find a real CB expert for confirmation, but frames & bikes of this price in 1951 could be custom built, so there will always be variations from the catalogues. What are your thoughts on parts then ? Terry

OldTel":oifujk4n said:
Hi, that's come up a treat hasn't it, the serial number points to 1951, and the model should be the Avant Coureur, but from a catalogue perspective its short of the spearpoint extensions. I think you need to find a real CB expert for confirmation, but frames & bikes of this price in 1951 could be custom built, so there will always be variations from the catalogues. What are your thoughts on parts then ? Terry

Thanks Terry, I didnt think it was that early.. really? I'll mug up on Claud Butler this week.
Can anyone confirm what Terry thinks? Is it also the original paint from 1951?
Also the chater lea pedals are stuck in, I've already bent a sturdy screwdriver, I'll get some releasing agent. Off to have a chat with the lucky chap next door, after all he is the owner!

The construction is Bilaminate, it is of a lugless (i.e bronze welded) construction - and what appear to be lugs are merely decorative sleeves.

Literally laminates.

I am not sure of CB model names but am certain of the method of construction.

Rk.

roadking":1nbuyhu3 said:
The construction is Bilaminate, it is of a lugless (i.e bronze welded) construction - and what appear to be lugs are merely decorative sleeves.

Literally laminates.

I am not sure of CB model names but am certain of the method of construction.

Rk.

Thanks for the info, Ive had a look at an old 1951 CB catalogue and cant see this exactly but I can see that any combination was possible if the lugs were just sleeves, it looks more modern stripped down, Im quite taken with it, pity its not mine. Any idea what the small square bosses are on the top and bottom of the down tube? Pump pegs? Gear bosses?

Back