Grisley mega 30

corsarob

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
finally dug it out of the workshop,i`ve riden it for years now,but i thought i would get it out and take some pics and tell you all the spec and story about it,i have owned it since new after i cracked the down tube on my team stumpjumper,i`ll let the pics tell the rest,
Grisley mega 30,
full xt groupset,
club roost bars,
tioga factory 2.1 fat ceramic 66 front tyreon a fir impes rim,
tioga factory2.3 fat ceramic 66 rear tyre on a mavic 217 sup,
ritchey logic seat.
bikesandporsche047.jpg

bikesandporsche046.jpg

bikesandporsche045.jpg

bikesandporsche044.jpg

bikesandporsche043.jpg

bikesandporsche042.jpg

bikesandporsche040.jpg

bikesandporsche041.jpg

bikesandporsche039.jpg

bikesandporsche038.jpg

tell what you think.

I adore the silhouette of these frames, they've a gorgeous curvaceous nature about them - akin to Retrotec(s) offerings, in my mind. It's that top-tube/seat-tube bend that gets me ;)

Lovely bikes, guys :cool:.

corsarob":3bghnmqn said:
are they worth a bit of money then these old fattys???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160929026051? ... 1423.l2649

The Ebay one (which I'm sure said sold for £234 this morning!?!) was lower range than mine, and I didn't pay that much for my mid range Mega. Your's is above mine range wise but looks a bit rougher in the pics, maybe that's the carbon wrap protector. Do you know what year yours is to have thumbies, yet it has the V brakes. Multiple changes from new maybe.

They're worth what anyone is prepared to pay I guess.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
holy oversize tubeset!! :shock: there's something about these frames that I quite like, don't think I've ever seen one for real though, elusive creatures those Grisley's.

stewlewis":1utsygv9 said:
corsarob":1utsygv9 said:
are they worth a bit of money then these old fattys???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160929026051? ... 1423.l2649

The Ebay one (which I'm sure said sold for £234 this morning!?!) was lower range than mine, and I didn't pay that much for my mid range Mega. Your's is above mine range wise but looks a bit rougher in the pics, maybe that's the carbon wrap protector. Do you know what year yours is to have thumbies, yet it has the V brakes. Multiple changes from new maybe.

They're worth what anyone is prepared to pay I guess.

sorry,cant remember when i bought it,i think it was 96,but couldnt swear to it,and as for equipment on it,it all came off my stumpjumper team,so thats why its spec`d like it is,just got some mavic d521 with xt hubs for it as well.
mine is all stickered up with crap everywhere,but it has been well used and the chain is wrecked big time,think i will need to cut it off. :roll:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Those were very popular in Spain.
Grisley was a trademark of BH bikes, a spanish (from the vasque country) factory of bycicles. Almost every spanish of my age had a BH in his childhood. Now they win world championships but they were heavy bycicles (http://www.bhbikes.com/)

American bikes were very popular in the nineties and spanish trademarks wanted to get closer to them, so BH came to an agreement with Peter Grisley to manufacture bikes with real american design and its signature.
I think very few people knew before who was that guy ;-)

BH belonged to an european group of bike manufacturers (I don't remember the name) that provided those aluminum tubes of the 5000 series from the aerospacial industry (Aviatube maybe?). They were strong but heavy weight. The 7000 series were lighter and easier to work with. I think that Grisley trademark dissapeared about 1999 or 2000, I'm not sure.

Sorry if my english isn't good enough.

thats more info than i have,and mine does have a made in spain sticker on it,just cant find any spec sheets on any of the bikes,and a quick update to mine,fittted a new chain and broke a rail on my saddle,rode round a little while i should of been working,but a tracker on my van means i cant go home and work on it,i have to take it with me and then work in the back of my van then go for a quick spin.
it still feels as good as as it used to to,i dont,but it does.lol

Back