Booby traps at Dovestone reservoir

This may annoy some but some of the people I've met out riding and some of the conduct to non bikers has been apalling, when we lived in Kent I had the crap kicked out of my car with my ex and 4 yo inside by a group of riders all because I had stopped to take a call in a layby where they wanted to get into the woods, I've seen riders not slow down for other people and scare the crap out of them even when there has been ample time to apply the brakes.

This isn't in any way condoning the actions of these dickheads.

About 20 years ago, some one strung cheese-wire just inside the entrance to an underpass near my parents' house. Problem was, the 'cycle track' wasn't only for bicycles, and the first person to hit it was on a 50cc moped. Fortunately they were below-average height, and it hit their visor instead of their throat.
Weirdly, I could almost understand that a seriously unhinged individual might set up something like that and then hide to watch the results - but I don't get why you'd go to the effort of setting it up, then just walk off with no concern about the consequences at all?

i have riden up there quite a few times and its a good place to ride,but the walkers tend to look down on you if on a bike and going faster than walking pace,i`ve been called alsorts and been swung at with there sticks,but i do have quite a good vocabulary,so i give much better than i receive. :LOL: :LOL:

Koupe":2r5i0u0h said:
Weirdly, I could almost understand that a seriously unhinged individual might set up something like that and then hide to watch the results

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szilveszter_Matuska

Matuska made at least two failed attempts to derail trains in Austria in December 1930 and January 1931.

Matuska's first successful crime was the derailment of the Berlin-Basel express train south of Berlin on August 8, 1931. Scores of people were injured, but there were no deaths. Because of the discovery of a defaced Nazi newspaper at the scene of the crime, among other things, the attack was believed to have been politically motivated. A bounty of 100,000 reichsmark was put on the perpetrator.

Matuska's second and more notorious successful crime was the derailment of the Vienna Express headed towards Vienna as it was crossing the Biatorbágy bridge near Budapest at 12.20am on 13 September 1931. 22 people died and 120 others were injured, 17 of them severely.

Matuska carried out his crime by blowing up a portion of the bridge, causing the engine and nine of the eleven coaches forming the train to plunge into a ravine 30 meters deep. Matuska was discovered at the scene of the crime but, having passed himself off as a surviving passenger, he was released. Investigators in the three countries were on his trail, however, and he was arrested in Vienna one month later, on 10 October 1931, whereupon he soon confessed.

Matuska was tried and convicted in Austria for two unsuccessful attempts. He was later extradited to Hungary on condition that he not be executed. He was found guilty of murder and sentenced to death, but the sentence was commuted to life imprisonment as agreed with Austria.

Matuska reportedly escaped from jail in Vác in 1944. According to some reports, he served as an explosives expert during the latter stages of World War II; he was never recaptured and his fate is unknown. Rumours have circulated that he appeared on the communist side in the Korean War, but there is no evidence to support this.

Matuska's motives remain unclear. His first attack was initially thought to have been politically motivated. At his trial, Matuska claimed to have been ordered to derail the express by God. Matuska has also been quoted as explaining his crimes by saying: "I wrecked trains because I like to see people die. I like to hear them scream." It was reported that he achieved orgasm while watching the trains he had sabotaged crash.

In 1990 Matuska became the subject of a song,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZqlT9VJ9ok, by the band LARD. A Hungarian/German TV film titled Viadukt was made in 1983 which was based on this case.

I belonged to a car forum once and in off topic there was a thread actively encouraging stringing lines up across trails and green lanes to discourage off road riding and giving other advice on how to deal with other road users (mainly cyclists) who were seen as having no right to be on the road........

this hapend a few time in brazil, though not intentionally. the kids in the favelas have pipa (kite) battles. the kites are home made from paper and have 1 string, the string is coverd in glue and then rolled in crushed glass (cerol). the idea is to ues the srting to cut the other kites string. a bit like a game of conkers in the sky.
sometimes the sting would come down across a road and occasionally and mototaxi or delivery boy on a bike have been caught up in them. there were a few decapitations. i remember seeing a guy being interviewed on the news who had to have his head sewn back on :shock: he said he was riding down the road and all of a sudden he could see behind him. the string cut through his neak and flipped his head over backward luckley the vertebrae had stopped the string going through his spinal cord and the doctors managed to put him back togther.
the kite battles still go on but the glass string in now outlawed

Back