1993 Intense spider

futuristicoldman

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This may be of interest to the lovers of olde worlde boingy bikes. I have been trawling the web and cant find any real world info on this (only 2 or 3 mediocre photographs). As far as I can tell this dates back to 1993, theres no serial number to date it but the kit that was hanging on it supports this.
The shock is a risse, I can only guess there is a coil hiding inside as there is no air valve evident, On the scales it comes out at bang on 5 pounds so is quite the featherweight for its era. I have not ridden it as yet as I had to knock up a new main pivot bolt and will probably ned to source some dome headed bolts for chainset clearance.
It seems funny that theres not a visible intense following on here considering their early bouncy race heritage etc, the build quality general solidness of this looks (to my eyes) like something that was a few years ahead of the pack although its tiny little main pivot bearings do betray its age. There seems to be a steady supply of uzzi's and m1's out there but little info or other examples of these that I can dig out. I would be interested if anybody has any insight into how long these were produced for or if they were something that never made it into significant production.....hope you like the pics

Attachments

• i1.jpg
    i1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 759
  • i2.jpg
    i2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 759
  • i3.jpg
    i3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 759
  • i4.jpg
    i4.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 759
  • i5.jpg
    i5.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 759
  • i6.jpg
    i6.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 759
  • i7.jpg
    i7.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 758
  • i8.jpg
    i8.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 759
More of the same....
Check out the novel device on the seat tube which gives the back end extra stiffness, they are hard plastic plates and I dont think I dare use them in the west yorkshire gritty mud. I suspect I will be dead and buried before any replacements show up for sale.

Attachments

• i9.jpg
    i9.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 754
  • i10.jpg
    i10.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 754
  • i11.jpg
    i11.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 754
Wow. Thanks for the detail pics. I am also interested in the history. Even Mombat first flight bikes has no information, while he has most of the USA mtb's in his collection, there isn't a single Intense on the website.
My oldest Intense is a '98 M1 would like to see the bikes they did the years before.

It is interesting to see they kept the same style rear forks for a long time, the chain and seat stay construction of a '99 uzzi and a '02 Tracer are practically the same as your '93. I mean the square tubes with the bend CNC'ed plates welded at a 45 degree angle.

I think there is a nice fork option for this in the for sale section at the moment, in your for sale thread there is a pic of two of these fully built, is the fork on the model in the background an Answer Kamakazie, or DH....?

My eyesight isnt what it was, but both the Kamakazie and the Dh are for sale, possibly with a choice of steerers too....

Back