gm's 30 days of gt

bushpig":3536jgm9 said:
I meant the bikes of Marin (inc. Ritchey which is kind of a stretch). I am thinking Cunningham, Potts, Ritchey

Lol i'm too cynical-

It would be a cool thread!

I think that if this is the first of many similar threads then I'm in favour
Say ten (or more) bikes with a common thread , history stories renovations

Don't understand the coldness toward GT ,surely one of the most influential
Bike companies certainly up to the late 90's

I don't have any particular antipathy toward GT. I wouldn't mind having a clean Zaskar, Psyclone and early Ti. I remember when GT started its broad grassroots program with the Ti bikes. Very cool.

Re: Regarding 1990 Team Avalanche.

Loki":1y2zd7f2 said:
I wonder if anybody knows the differences between the 1990 Team Avalanche and the 1990 Avalanche . Frame differences are what I am interested in. They both seem to sport Prestige concept in the main tubes anyway. Maybe GMXXXXXX will showcase the regular 1990 Avalanche so I can see if it has the same 19mm tapered stays?

Stay tuned!

If it is to be repeated it might be difficult because the current one is locked and only operated by a mod

Irritating you can't post on them, I want to see more of the cranks and brake levers on the white avalanche, as they look very tasty indeed!

bushpig":2ycarzat said:
I meant the bikes of Marin (inc. Ritchey which is kind of a stretch). I am thinking Cunningham, Potts, Ritchey

Don't worry. You'll get your chance. I''ll champion your cause to John. February 29, 2016 you can have a One Day of Cunningham forum.

Where's the yawn emoticon?

FMJ":2hmjbfpy said:
bushpig":2hmjbfpy said:

Don't worry. You'll get your chance. I''ll champion your cause to John. February 29, 2016 you can have a One Day of Cunningham forum.

Where's the yawn emoticon?

Peace guys please... can we all just get along. Let us not forget it's about the bikes regardless of the brand. The passion we share on this site is in bikes. You know I could give a rats about many of the brands and models posted here too, but you know we all have freedom to choose and I just choose not to go in those threads and spend or waste time because hey they just don't interest me like these do. We all have a particular past with a certain make or model and of coarse our passion is higher for those but let's be fair to the others passions or desire for a brand that may be different than our own. Many of us have pedigree with this brand or that and there's some time to be spent here yet on good old Retrobike since the world didn't end when the experts said it would. In defense of GT, they were different, they started with BMX and then added mtn and road and became a complete bike brand. They were the ones that recognized 46 million in the youth market between 5 and 12 and that if kids started on a GT they may choose to ride one for life and many have. They had the happening or one of the happening teams for years and those guys rode on the weekends the same bikes you could usually buy in the shop on Monday morning or the beginning of the next season, not some one off welded by another rebadged custom that had nothing to do with the brand name on it. I asked John about this thread back in November and between he and I being busy on the 1st of December it just didn't work so I asked him to start on 1/1. I hope if you like or care for GT that you'll enjoy the rest as much as I do. My PM box has been filled with questions and comments daily. I'm sure John can probably see those and knows they have all been very polite and positive. It's been fun to share with those that care. Hoping you all had a great New Year and an even better 2013. Ride On!

If one is only a fan of a particular brand or builder and cannot resist getting all angsty over others disparate passions, then one is surely not a fan of retrobiking in the broader sense? It's unrealistic to make believe that the first 15 years of mountainbiking were confined to a particular shed or hillside. In fact, as this whole Retrobike collection of content has shown/unearthed over the years, it is the very positioning of all the niche and distant stars, with some rising, some falling and going out, that makes the whole constellation the real interest. If there were only Kleins or Potts there would be no vrc or Retrobike.

Credit to gm in this instance for not only the work that's gone into the collection but also the preparing and sharing of real retro content - as has been evident many times, it's all too easy to flounce off to a self righteous bunker to gloat and hoard only to pop up every nowandthen to seeth at the outside world. Contribute or die (as Camelbak might once have said)!

Back