New Chain Set-up advice

Well I normally jump straight in and go for the correct length in one but yes if you're unsure there a couple of links at the time maybe the way to go.

Large cog atbthe back , largest chainring withouth goingtrough the rear mech and add one full link.

well, that was going swimmingly until....

did everything that was described, ended up -2 links out of the chain - tensioning is now completely sorted, standard slackness in the chain as I would expect.

however, when running in any gear (bikes on a turbo trainer) after a few revolutions the rear mech cage starts to either un-tension or tighten and this causes a jump in the chain when it's approaching 11 o'clock on the freewheel??? same in all gears and chain-line is straight so this is a tensioning issue on the rear mech at a guess??

anyone experienced this or know the solution....

cheers

stiff link - how damn obvious was that - too pre-occupied with it being something technical rather than the simple and all so obvious answer! cheers Tel - magic, and a very fruitful saturday afternoon spent which means the bike will be off the turbo and out onto the roads for the 1st time tomorrow.

sourced a NOS freewheel but I skimped on the chain ($) Shaun but I will remember that could be an issue for future builds.

cheers very much, off to fill some bottles with sugary liquid ready for the morning.

Tel":9mch3v6i said:
Check for stiff links.

This is even more likely if you joined the ends using a chain tool rather than a special link. To rectify it, hopefully your chain tool has two pairs of 'teeth'

One pair is for joining the chain. This will have a plate that stops the chain flexing as you push the pin in. The other pair won't have this support. They are used for loosening a tight link. Just tweak it from the opposite side that you joined it from.

Sorry if that reads as jibberish or if you knew it all before hand!

Edit! You're sorted then! I didn't see the second page. Looks a cracking bike judging by the rear mech and wheel!

Iwasgoodonce":3thikyay said:
Tel":3thikyay said:
Check for stiff links.

This is even more likely if you joined the ends using a chain tool rather than a special link. To rectify it, hopefully your chain tool has two pairs of 'teeth'

One pair is for joining the chain. This will have a plate that stops the chain flexing as you push the pin in. The other pair won't have this support. They are used for loosening a tight link. Just tweak it from the opposite side that you joined it from.

Sorry if that reads as jibberish or if you knew it all before hand!

Edit! You're sorted then! I didn't see the second page. Looks a cracking bike judging by the rear mech and wheel!

I did skimp on the chain - was in the sales at less than £10 - it's KMC but it's not what I should of bought - no special link! chain tool was properly cheap and that's headed for the bin - it's for track chains so doesn't hold a multi-speed chain properly so had to employ tensioning plyers to hold the chain in place whilst I lined up the grommit to the hole! what a faff. If you know of a decent chain tool let me know as I really should invest in one.

bike has gone over budget thanks to the wheels but i'm pretty happy with it so far - no good for windy days though!

thread is here if you fancy a look - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=234479

cheers

Back