Diamond back choice

mdonald

Dirt Disciple
Hi I'am here again to ask some more informations.
I said I had a dbr axis and I loved it, now I'am looking for a new old bike, and I need your help to decide what to choose.
I find the of the pics i attach:
the first is an apex tt lite,
the second I think is a dbr wcf6.0
and the third is a wcf vertex.
I like very much all, the carbon charm is hard to resist, also the titanium finish is very cool.
But I don't know if it is dangerous to buy an old bike made of composit material, maybe it made older than the steel?
What should I verify to buy it, consider that I cannot view the bike but in photo, do you advise a beginner to buy an old bike made of carbon?

Attachments

• 3019622349.jpg
    3019622349.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 916
  • 0219425161.jpg
    0219425161.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 918
  • 9597255015.jpg
    9597255015.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 916
all WCF frames were the same, it was the components that differentiated the models

great riding bikes.

mdonald":3iyderpv said:
also the titanium finish is very cool

I don't know if You had chance to see one in person,
It's more like, fine brushed steel (True Temper TT Lite) tubing with clear lacquer. Very nice, light frame.

The WCF has some point of rust on the little tube near the chain, you can see it in this photo, I don't think it is a big problem, but I don't think is easy to paint the bike as it is partially not painted ... correct?

Attachments

• 3028458100.jpg
    3028458100.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 828
I wonder how exactly Welded Carbon Fiber frames were put together.
It is partly Cr-Mo steel TIG welded,but carbon parts? Were they bonded to steel lugs? In catalogue is photo of welding with carbon parts attached (that could be just for sake of photo) ,if it's right then they using some very thin wall steel tubes with carbon fiber over them?

mdonald":13fe5ebn said:
The WCF has some point of rust on the little tube near the chain, you can see it in this photo, I don't think it is a big problem, but I don't think is easy to paint the bike as it is partially not painted ... correct?

I wouldn't worry about that at all. Someone has removed the chainstay protector at some point, probably because it was chewed up. Easy enough to touch in the chips and put another over that area.

Great bike, seriously nice ride.

The frames of a given year were the same throughout the range.

The second one indeed is a 96 6.0.

I would be happy with any of those bikes to be honest.

:)

I have an Axis, and a WCF 4.0.

My Axis is True Temper steel, and nickle plated, and is a lovely bike. The WCF has carbon main tubes, bonded to steel for the lugs, headtube, and stays. I've had the WCF since new, and it's been reasonably well abused. I have noticed slight hairline cracks in the paint where the carbon tubes are bonded to the steel, but I've spoken to my carbon fibre friends in the superyacht industry, and they've said don't worry about it. It's just the paint as the carbon flexes differently to the steel. It too rides beautifully, and is responsive, and fun to ride.

I recently clear lacquered my chainstay on the WCF where it had bad chain slap, and then put a new protector sticker over it. Nothing to worry about,

I'd buy them all if I were you. Or you could point me in the right direction ;)

Back