£12.50 Muddy Fox Alu Sport (*UPDATE*)

Jussa

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Welcome to my latest build. A few weeks back i was doing the usual ebay surfing and came across this Muddy Fox. Its an Alu Sport, not sure of the exact date but think its Mid to Late 90's (Apologies if it falls out of the pre 1997 genre) Anyway £12.50 yes you read correct £12.50 bagged me this Purple Steed.

Anyway initial thought was to either strip, sell parts and keep what i need but upon getting it home my wife (Laura) fell in love with it. She already owns a Diamond Back Outlook Full Susser and often joins me on the trails. But she wanted something she could use to pop into town on.

And so the build commenced. firstly i wanted to strip, clean and lube everything and also shed some weight along the way. Despite being a nice light Alu frame the entry level Shimano parts and bars weighed in a bit on the heavy side.

I have a full Shimano STX groupset so that will be fitted to it. And have purchased some matching Purple Anodised Canti Levers just to keep in with the purple theme. Some old Racelight bars and Profile Stem will again shave a bit off the the build.

The Schumacher Rims and Rodi Hubs will stay for the time being as they run nice and true and both wheels are nutted so make for good Anti Theft measures when she parks it up in town.

The knobblys will come off and i have some Wildgripper Semi-Slicks to go on again to make it Tarmac Friendly.

Generally the frame is very tidy with only minimal paint wear.

Laura's looking forward to getting it on the road, so she is actively encouraging me to work on it, which is nice :) Mind you she works for the Ambulance service and has done numerous medical cover for MTB events including Mountain Mayhem and Sleepless In The Saddle, so having a supportive wife with an interest in bikes pays dividends.

Anyway enjoy this budget build :D

Attachments

• IMG_3654.jpg
    IMG_3654.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 2,642
  • IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 2,642
  • IMG_3651.jpg
    IMG_3651.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 2,641
  • IMG_3649.jpg
    IMG_3649.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 2,640
  • IMG_3650.jpg
    IMG_3650.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 2,642
  • IMG_3648.jpg
    IMG_3648.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,642
Brilliant find - it'll make a really nice bike when you've built it up :cool:
Do you know if the forks are the original ones or replacements?
I look forward to seeing the build progress.

michael franks":3otnvm81 said:
Brilliant find - it'll make a really nice bike when you've built it up :cool:
Do you know if the forks are the original ones or replacements?
I look forward to seeing the build progress.

Not sure on the Forks? Found another Alu Sport in Green whilst searching the web, with similar Chrome Forks so maybe these are the original. The bike doesn't look like its been messed around with, nor had much abuse.

sylus":3ktuf6rx said:
Some manitous would suit that finely,

They would my good friend, however as you well know the Flatlands of Norfolkshire (And the trip into town or gym) will not require this fine steed to have bounce ;) But maybe an upgrade for the future, see how she gets on with it.

Oh found its age, it's a March 1996 frame :)

that's nice and so much more than 12.50's worth :shock:

the frame i believe is basically like the earlier MF Alu Pro series (just bought the '89 smoke one on the for sale thread for rather more!!!)

they have the distinctive seat post thru top tube detail. The earlier ones all had the same frames just changed components thru exage / xt etc

there's a thread which discusses the evolution a bit on here (i'll try and find it)

cheers
And :cool:

Ooh... Nice find.
I had an Alu Pro in a pearlescent white - beautiful. I loved that bike until it got nicked...

If I remember correctly it had Alu forks - But the sport had steel?

Small update on this build :) And they are small pics, will get some larger ones once hooked up to my home PC. But essentially, STX Canti's, Crankset, Rear Mech and 3 x 7 Shifters all fitted, Purple Canti Levers & Grips fitted along with Racelight Bars and Profile Stem.

Laura spotted the forks in the Man Cave and yes they are a perfect colour match and also the steerer length and size is perfect........... Looks like i've lost them to her build.

What is it with women and shiny things??? lol

:D

Attachments

• IMG_3666.jpg
    IMG_3666.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 2,194
  • IMG_3667.jpg
    IMG_3667.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 2,194
  • IMG_3668.jpg
    IMG_3668.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,194