My new (old) Bontrager

stu

jammy git
Hello everyone,

Finally picked up the Bontrager yesterday, really, really pleased :D

b4e78744.jpg

My first set of Cook bros cranks, I'm gonna try not to scuff them too much!!!!!!

d2a00bf3.jpg

Apparently the rear hub is a special produced for a Hope sponsored rider, he didn't like singlespeeding and got rid.......

46d2dded.jpg

Hopefully in this picture you can see the Syncros Aheadset, quite tricky to find in one inch flavour.

c48c21c4.jpg

And finally, a pic of the business end

198db9bf.jpg

Apologies for the lame pictures :oops:

Cheers
Stu

nice build :)

helicopter tape & a heat gun to mold it to the shape of the arms will help save your crank arms from getting scuffed up :)

Cheers guys!

The dodgy coloured brake cables have got to go....ooooh and the bars are a bit narrow for me (23") :D

The Arch Supreme brakes need a bit of fettling, the levers are canti models so it's a bit spongy at the moment, tempted to go back to full-on cantilever mode and save the Supremes for my Kaboom.

Gonna keep her singlespeed for a bit then probably go resto-mod with some Sram & Hope goodies........maybe!

Stu

That's my old beauty! I see Roly's changed the pedals and the brake calipers, but other than that it's still my old bonty. I could tell you everything about that bike, and all the bits on it!

I always knew I'd regret selling it.....

Oh and I'm not responsible for those cables or v brakes!

Originally that frame came from Trek in the days when I worked for one of their largest retailers in London. Colin from trek told us that they had a few original Santa Cruz frames left and that they were running out. Regardless of the fact that I had other bikes I bought that one as it was one of those "I always wanted one". I came to me with the silver and yellow decals but I swapped them out for the silver and black. Originally it was decked out with M900 XTR and a set of Judy SLs (in black with englund carts to match).

Unfortunately it rarely got used as I had gotten my Fat Ti and was riding that a whole heap, so the frame was sold to Vince at Recycle (I was sad)

A long, long while passed and I really wanted to get me a singlespeed and so I popped down to see Vince again and would you believe there it was still in the shop looking all sad (no one wanted a 1" steel bike then), so I bought it back from him.

Then it was full on retro build, Cooks F cranks (from Bromley), avid brakeset (it had Trialigns originally from Stiff), original RC30 (from Pace) resprayed black and that wheelset.
I had a friend in another bike shop who was close with the guys at Hope and had asked him if they could possibly build me a SS hub, they came back and said that they weren't going to but that they had a prototype that they weren't going to be making available to the public and said they'd send me that. When it arrived it was a flip flop, a real one off for Hope. They also built it with the fun bolts rather than a QR (another one off for Hope at the time).

Then it was used, again as a second/third bike, for a while, but jobs, house moves and other bikes got in the way so she had to be sold again, except this time complete. So it went to Roly as I knew he'd look after her, and now I assume he's sold it to you for the same reasons

So in all what you've got there is possibly the least ridden Bonty in the world (but the most loved). Hope you take care of her and never, ever stick discs or LX on her.

Nice in an understated way. The Arch Supremes are awesome, in the dry you'll wonder why we bother with discs.

pete_mcc":2y4dqsre said:
Oh and I'm not responsible for those cables or v brakes!

Originally that frame came from Trek in the days when I worked for one of their largest retailers in London. Colin from trek told us that they had a few original Santa Cruz frames left and that they were running out. Regardless of the fact that I had other bikes I bought that one as it was one of those "I always wanted one". I came to me with the silver and yellow decals but I swapped them out for the silver and black. Originally it was decked out with M900 XTR and a set of Judy SLs (in black with englund carts to match).

Unfortunately it rarely got used as I had gotten my Fat Ti and was riding that a whole heap, so the frame was sold to Vince at Recycle (I was sad)

A long, long while passed and I really wanted to get me a singlespeed and so I popped down to see Vince again and would you believe there it was still in the shop looking all sad (no one wanted a 1" steel bike then), so I bought it back from him.

Then it was full on retro build, Cooks F cranks (from Bromley), avid brakeset (it had Trialigns originally from Stiff), original RC30 (from Pace) resprayed black and that wheelset.
I had a friend in another bike shop who was close with the guys at Hope and had asked him if they could possibly build me a SS hub, they came back and said that they weren't going to but that they had a prototype that they weren't going to be making available to the public and said they'd send me that. When it arrived it was a flip flop, a real one off for Hope. They also built it with the fun bolts rather than a QR (another one off for Hope at the time).

Then it was used, again as a second/third bike, for a while, but jobs, house moves and other bikes got in the way so she had to be sold again, except this time complete. So it went to Roly as I knew he'd look after her, and now I assume he's sold it to you for the same reasons

So in all what you've got there is possibly the least ridden Bonty in the world (but the most loved). Hope you take care of her and never, ever stick discs or LX on her.

Cheers for the info Pete!

Yep, Roly was really upset to have to let her go......I did promise I would look after her (and I always will), she's been cleaned up and I rode her to work today, felt superb, really gonna have to change the bar to a wider model though and sort out some retro silver cantis but after today I've decided I'm gonna stay singlespeed......and I was nearly right with my re-telling of the hub story too :D

Stu

Back