Bullseye Mavic and snowflake

Seen them in the flesh and they are the nuts, pictures dont do them justice. They are strong wheels when trued as I know many racers that used them in the day with no failures. There not a waste of good hubs, this build compliments trick componants of the day unlike modern mass made toot. The rest of the build parts for this bike are truely stunning :D

I am a heavy biker and have allmost all my wheels build like this(snowflake/twisted) and they are strong. Better than normal Spokes for me.... The wheels look gorgeous. Like the combo with the coloured nipples. Just awesome

I had some wheels built in '94 and the builder only "snowflaked" the front wheel as he said the rear wheel wouldn't be strong enough with twisted spokes?

I am over 100 kilo and i never snapped a single twisted rear Wheel spoke. So it depends WHO you believe. I never had problems with it. I recently build a set of wheels with twisted Spokes. DT-Hugi hubs on Mavic rims. Can't wait to run them....

I am over 100 kilo and i never snapped a single twisted rear Wheel spoke. So it depends WHO you believe. I never had problems with it. I recently build a set of wheels with twisted Spokes. DT-Hugi hubs on Mavic rims. Can't wait to run them....

Never been sure about snowflaked wheels eh, not really my thing...lovely hubs and rims though, NOS??

Rich

nice attention to detail, I like them! :)
I run snowflaked spokes front & rear and have never had any problems at all, even bitd I never had an issue with a snowflaked wheel... and my wheelbuilding skills have come on a bit since then ;)

bitd we never used to snowflake the drive side of the rear because of the lack of dish due to the cassette....these spokes are under a lot more tension and can bind if snowflaked........i built fully snowflaked rears for myself though. i used to place the wheel horizontally on the ground and "push" the rim to the ground until it stopped creaking, then re-true. keep doing this until you are happy with equal tension.
if you snapped a spoke, it was easier to build a new wheel than to get the new spoke up to tension due to binding........hell, i think i'll build myself a set, must be 15 years since i last built a snowfkake!! :LOL:

Back