Shimano 600 SIS Help.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Hi again! I'm going to start build ing up the winter bike soon. Obviously not being able to wait until I have all the parts, I started to mock it up and put the bits I have got onto the frame.

The right shifter, (I haven't tried the left one yet) has a lot of sideways play even when the screw is done right up. I have tried to find a manual on line with no success. I have found this description:

"1 Chrome concave plastic piece goes on first, concave side toward frame, Flat side faces out 
2 Brass washer
3 Thin steel washer, 2 little protrusions toward frame, Make sure not to bracket the 2 little protrusions between the little metal tab on frame. Things won't fit or shift if you do this. The tab on the frame is a stop for the lever.
4 Shift lever, Make sure the tab on the inside of the lever goes in the notch between the 2 little protrusions
5 Relatively thick rubber\metal washer. Metal side faces frame
6 screw."

number two on the list, I don't have.

Has anyone got a manual for the shifters? I want to have a go with these before returning to the For Sale forum.

Thanks.

SAM_2118.jpg

SAM_2116.jpg

SAM_2117.jpg

SAM_2114.jpg

This is all that came off.

Chrome dt fitting.
Brass cut out washer
Metal washer with prongs
Lever
Index unit
Screw

SAM_2119.jpg

This is the left lever for reference.

HTH

Thanks Tel. I'm missing a couple of the indexing teeth but, hey ho they'll only be used in friction mode anyway. I have decided to get the paint matched so that I can redo a seat stay as it is very, tatty.

The rest of the paint is fine. Twelve pounds including vat strikes me as not bad at all to match the paint exactly, mix the required hue and supply a large rattle can.

Soon as I get it back I'll use your photos. I'm definitely missing a couple of those anti rattle washers though. Time to start going though the garage to see if I have anything similar.

Back