New Chain Set-up advice

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
afternoon folks,

quick question - when installing a new chain (fresh build with no old chain to reference) which chainring / rear cog do you put the chain on to work out how many links to remove?

thanks

Tel":14ddfsah said:
smallest cog, biggest chainwheel mech cage should be 90 deg to ground.

ok - thanks Tel - so if the mech cage isn't at 90 then is that where I need to take links out?

set it up on biggest chain ring, smallest cog, all fine & dandy, as soon as I drop onto the small chainring & climb up the freewheel to the biggest cog the chain goes slack (so much so it's almost touching the chainstay) - haven't had this issue before as always had the old chain to reference.

purchased a 6/7/8 speed chain for a 6 speed freewheel if that makes a difference?

Chain should be fine. What is the mech and what ratio's you running? Chainwheel and freewheel.

It does sound as though the rear mech is not keeping the chain under tension.

Tel":3vglrjsg said:
Chain should be fine. What is the mech and what ratio's you running? Chainwheel and freewheel.

It does sound as though the rear mech is not keeping the chain under tendion.

53 / 42 chainwheel with 12 - 17T regina freewheel running through a mavic 851 mech - bit baffled by this!?!

Does the mech keep tension through the gears? If you stop turning the crank does the chain snag on the freewheel hence make it touch the chainstay?

Tel":tbzcmklv said:
Does the mech keep tension through the gears? If you stop turning the crank does the chain snag on the freewheel hence make it touch the chainstay?

No issue at all when running on the 53 ring through the freewheel.

different ball game when on the 42 ring - chain just goes slack?

pics attached...top pic is 12th gear with everything tensioned nicely, goes through the gears no problemo - note chain tension..

lower pic is 3rd gear - note chain tension..

any thoughts? ta...

Attachments

• IMAG0167.jpg
    IMAG0167.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMAG0166.jpg
    IMAG0166.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 263
yes your chain is too long. In 12th there should be an imaginary line 90 deg tto the ground through the bolts of the jockey wheels. Hope that makes sense.

Although I'd still expect the mech to take up the tension. You do have the notorious stop plate don't you?

Tel":2s0qopjx said:
yes your chain is too long. In 12th there should be an imaginary line 90 deg tto the ground through the bolts of the jockey wheels. Hope that makes sense.

Superb Tel - makes perfect sense - when the chain arrived it looked suspiciously long! and yes, the notorious stop plate is in place.

Take two links out at a time until I get to 90 deg? that the best way of avoiding having to links back in?

ta for your time Tel - superstar - it was starting to drive me up the wall so you've saved me some sanity!

Back