Strange rock

I blame them glaciers. Always moving rocks about and dumping them in random places.

If only such a thing was around in my neighborhood when I was sixteen...
could have pushed it off with some of my mates. :LOL:

back in wales there were furrows like cart tracks in the flat slick rock where harder stones /boulders where pushed along the static bedrock by ice......got some poor pics somewhere where boulders where pushed up and over stuff leaving a trail etc. on the cambrian coast above Harlech. Old Darwin spent some time there.

This isn't the ''cart wheel type marks'', but these rocks where pushed from the right over the bedrock on the left, there were very visible grooves showing the path of the rocks movement.
r004.jpg

Here is the area where there are lots of rocks that have been left after being pushed by ice and left 'cart tracks' pic doesn't show the size of the area.
l001.jpg

It might not be as odd as some, but the cliffs along Penarth beach are home to literally thousands of tons of pink calcite. It's quite surreal to walk along Penarth beach just after some really wet weather (when there are quite often areas of landslide from the cliffs), and to see hundreds of chunks of the stuff just lying along the beach, as if the world's biggest blancmange just exploded!

Penarth beach is also AMAZING for fossil hunting too, if that's your thing. It's also a great time to go down there at the moment too, as tons of fresh rock has been washed off the cliffs after the recent weather.

Back