First slug of the year :-(

Pyro Tim":34q5tzm9 said:
I kill them with salt. Killed hundreds in the autumn / early winter

Like everything, with a bit of work you won't need to commit genocide (unless of course you get a kick from it), egg shells, copper pipe, hair all seem to work well. Another thing is all these animals feed on slugs and the decline in numbers of some of them can be attributed to the use of slug pellets

Natterjack Toad
Common Shrew
Hedgehog
Mistle/Song /Redwing
Common Toad
Common Frog
Slow Worm
Sand Lizard
Ground Beetle
Moles
Smooth Newt
Ladybird larvae

And if anyone goes fishing they're a fantastic bait for Chub

upUL7.jpg

VI6eF.png.jpg
[/img]

ba57ards":2vaq91uj said:
this is goin to sound strange but my mum has always collected egg shells (ours when we cook) and crushed them up and used them round her plants to stop slugs/snails etc gettin at the new plants

its like us walkin barefoot over glass seams to work for my mum could be worth a try > at the neighbours fence ? or areas ?

Me dear ol' mum also does this.

Koupe":84zxyz2y said:
Copper pipe around the edges of the veg beds always works. We get hundreds, but they never get past the pipes for some reason.

Oh, and no matter how far you launch them, they will always come back :twisted:

Copper carries a very slight electrical charge, it acts like a miniature electric fence for them.

B77":21a9ja4d said:
Another thing is all these animals feed on slugs and the decline in numbers of some of them can be attributed to the use of slug pellets

Natterjack Toad
Common Shrew
Hedgehog
Mistle/Song /Redwing
Common Toad
Common Frog

Slow Worm
Sand Lizard

Ground Beetle
Moles
Smooth Newt

Ladybird larvae

The decline of all the highlighted ones, in my area, can be attributed to my cat. She did actually eat a slug when she was a kitten, but didn't seem to like it much, unfortunately. We do have a thriving colony of toads though, who clearly need to work harder.

Back