Mixture of shimano components on walvale??

SNight

Retro Guru
I have just aquired the Walvale that was advertised for sale on here this week. Made up with it, been after one for a long while now.

My question is, would it have been usual to have a mixture of dura ace / 600 components on the same bike?

It currently has dura ace 7400 front and rear mech's and shifters, dura ace ax crankset, and 600 brake calipers, from what I can see are original to the bike.

It has a pair of exage brake levers which have been put on as replacement at some point, and also a no name headset.

Ideally I would like to have a complete dura ace groupset on the bike, icluding headset, hubs and seatpost but that depends on how much I can get the parts for! So my idea is to maybe have a mix match of 600 / dura ace parts to complete the bike.

Any pointers will be much appreciated,

Thanks.

It was rare for an off the peg bike to have a mix of components although a few did. Personally I'd have to go for the complete DA group and until I'd sourced it all the bike would not be finished.....

Good luck!

I agree Tel, Ideally I want full dura ace, but wether that will be possible on my budget....... Ill have to see.

Im going to take some pics tomorrow and put them up. Bit of an unusual one. It has ABDUL engraved onto the seat stays, wasnt sure what to make of that at first, made me think it could have been a re badged frame.

I rang C&G Finishes in Liverpool, who informed me straight away that it wasnt unusual for walvale or harry quinn, to engrave the recipients name onto the seat stays as they both had their own engraving machines. They also confirmed from the frame number that it is a Walvale. Was great to talk to someone who actually knew exactly what they were talking about.

I aim to get it re finished by them in the future to the same standard as it was originaly.

Wouldn't that Walvale have ben supplied as a frame only? if so then people would have been free to fit whatever they liked or could afford....

Shaun

Midlife":ewvtq357 said:
Wouldn't that Walvale have ben supplied as a frame only? if so then people would have been free to fit whatever they liked or could afford....

Shaun
Midlife, you've just made me think actually, as a reply to tel saying it being "off the peg", Id imagine that it wasnt an off the peg frame as C&G mentioned that the seat stays were engraved before the frame was essembled, so id assume the frame was made up as a special order?? I may be wrong.

So midlife may be correct in saying that the who ever the frame was intended for had the choice of which components to fit?

SNight":32rna58x said:
Midlife":32rna58x said:

Shaun
Midlife, you've just made me think actually, as a reply to tel saying it being "off the peg", Id imagine that it wasnt an off the peg frame as C&G mentioned that the seat stays were engraved before the frame was essembled, so id assume the frame was made up as a special order?? I may be wrong.

So midlife may be correct in saying that the who ever the frame was intended for had the choice of which components to fit?

More than likely. People fitted what they wanted, was available - or could afford! BITD there was no slavishly fitting exact 'groupsets'. Most bikes were a mish-mash of different brands and levels. Can't remember who it was that built Walvale frames (Bill Whitcomb?)

Old Ned":1c4c5ab7 said:
SNight":1c4c5ab7 said:
Midlife":1c4c5ab7 said:

Shaun

More than likely. People fitted what they wanted, was available - or could afford! BITD there was no slavishly fitting exact 'groupsets'. Most bikes were a mish-mash of different brands and levels. Can't remember who it was that built Walvale frames (Bill Whitcomb?)

Norman Roberts was the frame builder. The bloke I spoke to at C&G (should have got his name, he was really helpfull) says he is still building the odd frame, although he has not been in the best of health recently, and that he would probably still know who he built it for if he told him the details of the frame!

Back