1989 Doug Bradbury Manitou - 1st update complete

Looks tight with those forks and the period treads.. :twisted:

Did you have much trouble getting the Fattrax on the rims?

kingroon":2cizab8j said:
Looks tight with those forks and the period treads.. :twisted:

Thanks. Nope, tires went on without a hitch.

mkozaczek":1y4a5l9i said:
kingroon":1y4a5l9i said:
Must be something to do with MA40s then.. I broke three [plastic] tyre levers and Mrs Roon broke a nail! :roll: :LOL:

kingroon":2indwwul said:
mkozaczek":2indwwul said:
kingroon":2indwwul said:
Must be something to do with MA40s then.. I broke three [plastic] tyre levers and Mrs Roon broke a nail! :roll: :LOL:

MA40s are very narrow, basically a road/touring rim rolled down to work for MTB applications. Tough to get anything on those. The DB has 23mm Specialized X23s which are much more compliant for MTB applications, I basically thought it and the tires were on.

mkozaczek":398ir7ii said:
kingroon":398ir7ii said:
mkozaczek":398ir7ii said:
kingroon":398ir7ii said:
..I basically thought it and the tires were on.
Brag why don'tcha ;)

Are you gonna stick with the Cooks Cranks?

kingroon":g483b8d4 said:
mkozaczek":g483b8d4 said:
mkozaczek":g483b8d4 said:
..I basically thought it and the tires were on.
Brag why don'tcha ;)

I'm leaving the bike exactly as is, with the exception of new grips and most likely keeping the bar ends off. I'm saving all the original parts just in case I want to return it to 100% original condition. But, my goal is to preserve it just as it is. I put presta tubes in just because I don't have any schrader tubes compatible with the Fattrax, but will be getting some proper ones in there as well.

mkozaczek":2mdfgoqp said:
kingroon":2mdfgoqp said:
Brag why don'tcha ;)

I'm leaving the bike exactly as is, with the exception of new grips and most likely keeping the bar ends off. I'm saving all the original parts just in case I want to return it to 100% original condition. But, my goal is to preserve it just as it is. I put presta tubes in just because I don't have any schrader tubes compatible with the Fattrax, but will be getting some proper ones in there as well.

Cool, I wasn't trying to poach :)

It really is a sweet setup, looks like a Rig you could ride all day.. :cool:

kingroon":2sz421qu said:

Sure, sure... ;)

I can't think of a more ideal crank really. Perhaps, perhaps had the original owner ordered the bike with a pair of RSR cranks (if there were available) I would be 4% happier, but now I'm just being picky.

mkozaczek":282080bo said:
kingroon":282080bo said:

Sure, sure... ;)

I can't think of a more ideal crank really. Perhaps, perhaps had the original owner ordered the bike with a pair of RSR cranks (if there were available) I would be 4% happier, but now I'm just being picky.

Well, if you wanted to sell, but don't think this is a dib, just a query, but then, it's cool, was just asking, but if you wanna move them on.. ;) :LOL: Joking anyways.. :) Maybe.. ;)

4% eh, that coulda taken the Shine off :p

Are Cooks in the photo of the DB you had in your mind all these years?

kingroon":1zjwk6ey said:
Well, if you wanted to sell, but don't think this is a dib, just a query, but then, it's cool, was just asking, but if you wanna move them on.. ;) :LOL: Joking anyways.. :) Maybe.. ;)

4% eh, that coulda taken the Shine off :p

Are Cooks in the photo of the DB you had in your mind all these years?

Funny guy.

Not sure how I really pictured the bike in terms of a build kit, but I don't think I could have built a better bike myself back then. Maybe an IRD bar in lieu of the Specialized and maybe a King headset instead of the XT. Otherwise It's all top notch.

Interestingly the seller included some DB print material which contained a DB recommended build sheet and the bike is 97% faithful to that spec sheet. I think the only difference was that DB spec'd a Specialized headset and the bike got an XT. I'll have to look at it again.

Back