Finally finished building my daughters new bike!

Had the same problem with SWMBO's Stumpy, with a U.S.E suspension post, so I drilled out the bottle boss and stuck a decal over it when the powder coating was done! ;)

I wasn't sure it would fit my 8 year old even with the short post. If it didn't fit her then the 12 yr old was going to get an early upgrade. :LOL:
In which case I didn't want to make changes to the frame.

Besides if you have a long cheap heavy seat post, you can make it so much lighter by chopping 6" off. (Achieves the same weight saving as buying a decent post without the cost :LOL:)

Dale

If she is only 8, she will need max 165mm Cranks and a much much shorter stem, I have some 80mm ones cheap if you want? Both Black though and a nice riser Kore in silver-75mm?
Pm me me if you want.

gnawamurney":151o1769 said:
what does it weigh?

23.5lb according to work scales. I thought it would be lighter. It certainly feels very light. I'm going to weigh my Klein tomorrow for comparison.

Cranks are 175mm, I might look for some 170s though.

Hi Gruff, how you doing?

Very nice little bike for a very lucky little lady. I wish I'd had a bike like that when I was 8. Mind you, when I was 8 MTBs weren't even invented ;)

It's funny how so many intended 'low budget' builds wind up being the whole new paint/XT/XTR job.

Re: Dale

Wold Ranger":2nqjfpcb said:
If she is only 8, she will need max 165mm Cranks and a much much shorter stem, I have some 80mm ones cheap if you want? Both Black though and a nice riser Kore in silver-75mm?
Pm me me if you want.

Thanks for the input re crank length. I'll have a look at that. I'm sending you a pm.

michael franks":2636bl2m said:
Very nice little bike for a very lucky little lady. I wish I'd had a bike like that when I was 8. Mind you, when I was 8 MTBs weren't even invented ;)

It's funny how so many intended 'low budget' builds wind up being the whole new paint/XT/XTR job.

Hi Mike, yes you think "That's a cheap frame and I'm sure I've got the other bits." :D Then you think that XT mech is very reasonable" :LOL: and before you know where you are, you're claiming you can't remember how much anything cost! :shock:

Nice bike, I'm thinking in building a retro mtb for my 9 y.o. daughter too.
I think you need a shorter stem for your daughther though.

Finally got out for a ride yesterday. Well, Mrs Twister and I ran with dog while the girls disappeared into the distance.

I managed to have a rest under the guise of taking this photo. :LOL:

D3280507-9DB7-4C03-86C5-8F0A369930ED-122-00000001FD2F7C51.jpg

Change of stem made all the difference. Thanks Wold.

Here's how it looks now.
6047A107-327B-48A0-A909-7FA46B00F357-122-000000020B4A3C03.jpg

Sadly my primary motivation for having kids is so I can build them bikes..

M900? You're an awesome dad!

Back