Shifter and cable routing, quick tech question

DMZ

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all -

Just putting together my first scratch build and just trying to clarify conventions to get the setup and cable runs right; I don't have any 'original' setup to follow.

I have 9 speed 6500 STIs and the cables to the rear (brake and dreailleurs) all run along the top tube side by side (at rear there are guides on top chainstay and seat tube to guide) Brakes are side pull calipers.

I've so far established that the left hand cable run on my top tube (when viewed sitting on the bike) should carry the rear brake; the centre run carries the front derailleur cable (however I've seen an example carrying the rear) and the right hand run carries the rear derailleur cable (again I've seen the other way as well). Correct me if this is wrong.

My main confusion is when it comes to the bars. My shifters have the brake cable type that is designed to be concealed under the bar tape, I think; the shifter cables come out of the side of the shifters so don't join their brake brethren. My queries are:

Which lever should operate which brake? (remembering the left hand top tube run is carrying the rear brake cable, so come out on the left of the stem to cross over the front of the stem to the right, if on the right lever) Sounds dumb but it does vary; I've had bikes going both ways, and wondered what the theory was behind it/what is best for this bike.

Should the shifter cables cross over at the front of the stem (left/double over to the right and right/cassette to left) or go left to left of stem, right to right?

Any other tips when setting up cables and cable housing would be useful. I've read Sheldon's section on cables already - just hard to find an example to follow of the permutations I have together on my bike!

That's exactly the sort of article thats been confusing me all evening, lol. Yes the left shifter is obvious front, the right the rear derailleur, no confusion there. I'm not sure as to whether or not the cables should cross over in front of the stem to opposite sides when heading for the run down the top tube, or stay on their own side though...*frantically searches google images*

I would say that they remain on the same side as the shifter (front down LH side of tubes, rear down RH side) without crossing over. (same with the brakes).

Here's how my Cinelli's plumbed:

unica11.jpg

The wife's Spesh has one set of cables coming out of the side of the brake lever's, but it's too cold and dark to take a picture of that at the moment !

vivelesalpes":34dm0lm4 said:
I would say that they remain on the same side as the shifter (front down LH side of tubes, rear down RH side) without crossing over. (same with the brakes).

I'd go with that too

Well to put the cat among the pigeons I generally run the left to the front brake as the curve of the brake cable is smoother, it's a straight run and makes the most sense to me....

Tel":2om1ydur said:
Well to put the cat among the pigeons I generally run the left to the front brake as the curve of the brake cable is smoother, it's a straight run and makes the most sense to me....

Very cosmopolitan :LOL:

I remember the stoppy I pulled the 1st time I used a hire bike on the continent set up like that. Confused was an understatement.

Tel":101m2gsq said:

Me too. All my continental pro heroes did it this way and therefore I did as well.

My winter bike (a CX frame) has the top tube cable routing exactly as stated. It has canti brakes though as befits a CX machine. I wonder why yours has this arrangement and is fitted with side pulls? The left route is the rear brake, centre is rear mech and right is front mech. I just let the cabling from the levers take their most natural course.

EDIT - see posts below!

Back