1972 Dave Russell

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
I've now managed to get this together for next weekend's Classic Show and here it is. The frame, which is lugless and beautifully filed, was built for Dave's stand at the Harrogate show as a Time Trial machine with cantilever brakes. I had these removed and a few other alterations done in '85 by Bernard Macklam in Leeds which is why it has his 'Sergio' transfers fitted. It was re-enamelled at the same time in the typical 80's 'fade' style. I've tried to kit it out with 70's components but still need some brake stirrups and a saddle. My old wheels also need re-fettling before they can be used. It is quite short and steep, giving a 'lively' ride which I will have to get used to after so much MTB'ing!

Attachments

• 25 on O2.1977.jpg
    25 on O2.1977.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,795
  • DRussell120408.1.A.jpg
    DRussell120408.1.A.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,795
'Well kept' - if only you knew what depradations it's been through over the years! :?

Thanks for the positive comments :)

Why can't I see it? I hate this computer! Will never be forced into an HP again that's for sure. Whether or not I can see pictures on a thread seems to be completely random!

Ideas anyone?

As you asked nicely, here's a few more detailed pics showing the construction - taken before the full re-fit.

Attachments

• DaveRussell.Sergio.6.A.jpg
    DaveRussell.Sergio.6.A.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,752
  • DaveRussell.Sergio.7.A.jpg
    DaveRussell.Sergio.7.A.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,752
  • DaveRussell.Sergio.8.A.jpg
    DaveRussell.Sergio.8.A.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,752
Oh, Oh, Oh!!!

Lovely fillet brazing - and some decent lugging around the seatclamp to stop cracking.

Proper job!

Yep, it was a class bit of work. Dave told me it was built by Bill Grey who was a builder at Claud Butler in the good old days and then built for the trade, sort of freelance I suppose. There were quite a few guys around who did that for many of the top shops to put their own transfers on.

Over-bracket cable routing?

1470.jpg

OOH! SUIT ME SIR!!

Back