FS: Daft 1987 Mercedes 500 SEL *SOLD*

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I dont really want to sell it but income doesnt match mpg!

Am looking at something quite dull and sensible but will need to shift this first.

1987 Mercedes 500 SEL

148,000 miles

MOT until December 2013, TAX until end of April.

Will need a few jobs for next year if you keep it that long - both ball joints need doing (parts are £11 each side) and they rust under the battery when the drainage holes get bunged up - its a hole about 5cm square, passed its MOT like it but will need doing.

Tyres will need replacing too sometime soonish.

Other fault is a sticky solenoid on the starter motor - annoying at best, not an issue most days.

It doesnt use any oil, it doesnt seem to leak anywhere, mpg is pretty reasonable considering its baulk - 25/ 27 if you are a good boy.

Once the above jobs are done you have a pretty sound car. There is a bit of rust but it can be sorted quite easily if you can be bothered.

All electrics work as they should. Interior is pretty good. No rips or tears. Zebrano is in good nick except for a chunk from around the gear lever.

Sunroof works and doesnt leak.

Its 26 years old and can still cut it but only if you have the money for the fuel!

mercedes_500sel_629.jpg

Any sensible offer! But cant do any bike swaps at present.

Lets say £800 and go from there

Car located between Peterborough and Cambridge

If I had some cash right now I'd bite your hand off. In fact if I had the petrol money I'd drive down and swap it for my C Class then you could have Mercedes style and good fuel stats.

Good luck with the sale.

ditto that is superb motor! had several big mercs over the years and a couple of early ones. got to be the best bang for buck about. just a shame about frankly crazy petrol prices. its why i have not had a car for several years.

For those watching on the MB forums - just found the dealer stamped service history booklet and the 3 original keys.

Back