Amazing Starfish facts...

Retro Cat

Senior Retro Guru
1. It can choose to lose an arm to escape predators.
2. If it doesn't like what it's eating it can eject its whole stomach.
3. It has two stomachs.
4. It's brain moves into its leading arm when walking along.
5. Most Starfish in the UK live up to 12 years.
6. Starfish don't have blood but water.
7. They can survive for 5 mins out of water.
8. Seagulls don't like eating starfish.
9. Each arm has lots of little legs underneath.
10. When they're stressed they curl their legs over their heads.

When I worked on a prawn boat in the highlands (langoustine) if we got one of the creels out the water and it had a starfish in it we would rip it in half and throw the two bits back in the water. The reason being that if there was a starfish in a creel then a langoustine wouldn't go in.

EDIT. Just read that back and realised most of the people on here might not know what a creel is in this context. It's like a lobster pot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Creel ... 322772.jpg

Tazio":1talsvkm said:
When I worked on a prawn boat in the highlands (langoustine) if we got one of the creels out the water and it had a starfish in it we would rip it in half and throw the two bits back in the water. The reason being that if there was a starfish in a creel then a langoustine wouldn't go in.

EDIT. Just read that back and realised most of the people on here might not know what a creel is in this context. It's like a lobster pot.

That sounds just cruel :(

Like the info Retro_Cat

Alison

Isaac_AG":39bsim97 said:
Tazio":39bsim97 said:

That sounds just cruel :(

Like the info Retro_Cat

Alison

Sounds cruel but when you are on tight margins to make a profit even a few empty creels make a difference. And I'm sure most of them just regenerated new limbs.

Tazio":dc5ruzsb said:

Interesting prawn fact #2
They bump prawns off by submerging them in a solution of sodium metabisulphate
Interesting prawn fact #3
A prawn storage container smells like poo [only far stronger]

We just used to eat them fresh out the water Andy. Twist the tail off when they are still alive and remove the gut. Cook in boiling water then spread the meat on toast with a nice bit of strong cheddar on top under the grill for a minute.

Delicious.Even better if we caught rock lobster as we didn't sell them so any caught were free to grab.

Tazio":2bg4o7os said:
We just used to eat them fresh out the water Andy. Twist the tail off when they are still alive and remove the gut. Cook in boiling water then spread the meat on toast with a nice bit of strong cheddar on top under the grill for a minute.

Delicious.Even better if we caught rock lobster as we didn't sell them so any caught were free to grab.

I dont like shellfish :LOL: :LOL: or any fish for that matter

dyna-ti":1duechyo said:
Interesting the way ALL the big prawns[cant remember the grading sizes] were sent abroad :?

All the prawns we caught went to Paris. They pay premium for Scottish langoustine. And we used to catch velvet crabs and send them to Spain as they loved them. God knows why as they weren't as good as normal crabs.

Latest posts

Back