Gis a job :)

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I think I've been a lazy housewife for too long spending my hubbies hard earned money, I need some of my own.

I was made redundant around 4 years ago and have been looking after the children since then, and trying to get away with as little as possible :)

One problem is I have no references, I know not who to contact from my previous employer as they went bust, not because of me by the way :) and my employer before that, Morrison's was 12 years ago, nearly 13 so I canny use them as a reference. I do have a friend I can call upon although she lives 120 miles away which may look a bit odd as I moved from there 12 years ago, up here I have acquaintances, as in fellow parents at the school, but non I know well enough to call on as a reference.

Do you think I'd get even an interview with little to no references to speak of??

Alison

If your trying to rebuild a reference history then agency work is always a good 1st step. They may not be the best employers but as a restart most are immediate

Other than that, look locally at those companies which promote part time work..again they mostly won't be glamerous such as supermarkets, diy stores and shop work but again, it will be a foot in the door to start the employment history

I would use also the references if you can from morrisons as most hr depts are aware of returning to work mums

+1 for agency work.

Throughout my student years I did a lot temp jobs some of them were dreadfull and mind numbing, but some were good fun and I was offered a permanent position a few times.

im in a similer situation, ive even had agencys ask for refrences. mabye try volunteering in somthing your intrested in.

Yes.

Have you done any work with your children’s clubs etc ? Could the club leader provide a reference? Showing you can bake cakes for the cake stand will work, as this shows a understanding of numeracy, as well as the ability to follow instructions, understand weights and measures as well as the ability to work to a time scale.

I will give you a reference for being able to post on Retrobike, this will at least show computer and literacy skills.

Why don't you volunteer at your children's school? You'll have to go through a CRB check mind but by the end of a term you'll have that and a good reference from the school. If you're lucky they might offer you a contract, if not you'll have gained some excellent interpersonal skills to take onto your next role. As a TA you'll get to observe lots of lessons, learn some cool stuff and have a laugh :)

professional refs might be harder for you to get by the sound of it, but a couple of good character references at least would be a good place to start and they should be easier to find. not perfect, but better than nothing!

good luck!

Retro Cat":auir81bu said:
Why don't you volunteer at your children's school? You'll have to go through a CRB check mind but by the end of a term you'll have that and a good reference from the school. If you're lucky they might offer you a contract, if not you'll have gained some excellent interpersonal skills to take onto your next role. As a TA you'll get to observe lots of lessons, learn some cool stuff and have a laugh :)

Work with children, nooo, I might loose them all on a school trip, either getting there or at the event, and apart from my own I'm scared of them :oops:

Alison

Back