Cannondale Scalpel 2011 - XX - sub 20lbs target build

.... money spending is continuing - since I last posted, managed to get a set of Formula R1s so that is 50g off the weight.

..... but they are gold coloured so spent even more money on getting black calliker caps and black alloy bolts

.... and you say it is never ending since the Hope Saw rotors do not work with the callipers so will be needing new discs ..... but then that will be the end.

ordred one of these - will see how it works out, and then will get another so hopefully will be done.

Attachments

• quaxar.jpg
    quaxar.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 440
Loving this thread [and the bike of course]. :) I went to buy one in 2009 but bought a Rush instead and still not shure if I did the right thing.
If you've still got about £50 quid or so left you can get some TI axles for your MG1's and save another 70g. :roll:
Once the weather clears what sort of riding do you have planned.?

Yep thanks to 02gf74 I've been thinking about shedding some more weight but when it comes out at £1 per 1g I have to question my sanity ! lol. :LOL:
However despite this I have considered those Ti axles upgrades and looking at lighter rotors, seatpost, bars, tyres etc etc, there is no cure.
The bike is my main rider so gets used for trails and the usual off road adventures but nothing serious as I'm nowhere near good enough and my main point of wanting one of these was for comfort and easy to push uphill ! ;)
It's got some changes in the pipeline so will get some more pics up soon.

trek_y":k8cnbypy said:
when it comes out at £1 per 1g I have to question my sanity ! lol. :LOL:

I did a spreadsheet for my Scalpel build which calculates the £ per gramme saved - inner tubes are the best bang per buck.

02gf74":2tmhqxvg said:
trek_y":2tmhqxvg said:
when it comes out at £1 per 1g I have to question my sanity ! lol. :LOL:

I did a spreadsheet for my Scalpel build which calculates the £ per gramme saved - inner tubes are the best bang per buck.

But I run tubeless so how does that work ? ;)

Would be very interesting to see how it breaks down as I figured that tyres, rotors, pedals, carbon bars, saddle and carbon seatposts give a pretty decent return of investment up to a point for relatively low spend. Of course though it's not just about weight, the cosmetics have a big influence and its worth spending more on your wheels over anything else IMHO. But I was very impressed by the XX cassette and can see why it costs so much - would never buy one new though.

How did you get on with those new rotors ? I was going to get some Hope floating ones to replace my Avid G3's but these may be better.

trek_y":2suxo3wb said:
Of course though it's not just about weight, the cosmetics have a big influence.

How did you get on with those new rotors ? I was going to get some Hope floating ones to replace my Avid G3's but these may be better.

yes, I bought a carbon fork to save maybe 100g (if I said how much the men in white coats will be coming for me :shock: ) but I can justify it a little bit since there was too much white on the bike: white wheels and white fork.

Not had change to try the rotors as yet.

I have used KCNC razor - more air than braking surface and am not happy with their stopping performace - these ones look like they should do better (I did have lightweight variant of Hope SAW but they interfere with Formula R1 callipers).

Avid G3 are pretty good for the weight/price, Promax rotors are about the same but maybe 10g lighter and slightly cheaper.

Re: Cannondale Scalpel 2011....

hi just about to do the same as you, got hold of a unused 2010 cannondale scalpel but the alloy frame and have aquirred a sram x0 chainset and gears and i wish to put some fox f series forks on, was just wondering what headset you used and also how does the bike ride thanks Matt, will try and sort some photo's too

Re: Cannondale Scalpel 2011....

Welcome to the fun world of Scalpels !
The headset I have is a Cane Creek reducer model specifically for Cannondale's Si 1 1/2 and a little bit headtube to allow you to use a 1 1/8th fork. Yours may be slightly different though as mine has a couple of alloy cups bonded into the carbon which were sized very specifically for the Si system and Lefty forks etc whereas yours may be setup ready to go with a more conventional headset as it is alloy already. I'd suggest you drop a line to Qwerty Cycles as the place to get hold of all things Cannondale and were very helpful with this issue and also unraveling the mysteries of BB30 cranksets, adapters, spindles, spacers etc.
It's a lovely smooth bike to ride, you really do not notice just how much the rear end is working and it climbs very nicely as well thanks to the weight. I will be keeping this bike for a long time as it does everything so well. Good choice on the X0 setup, I had this on mine as you see it in the pics but now has been upgraded to XX and more weight saving parts thanks to a few nice finds - I must post an update !
Would love to see another taking shape so post up your build soon. :cool:

Back