Kona Hahanna *Finished Pics*

Operative

Retro Newbie
So I was out riding the other week with some new ride buddies and I noticed how they were able to ride uphill? Ok I traunced them on the downhill with my 150mm forks but that was'nt the point. I suddenly occured to me that my hardcore hardtail freeride beast (full custom spec) was becoming a pain in the arse to lug uphill. In fact it always had been, plus I live in an area full of hills. In fact after pushing most of the way to the top I had been burning of all my energy to really enjoy the downhill i.e I was just hanging on and even taking the easiest routes to preserve fatiuge. Obviously the problem was that I needed a custom commuter bike to re-live that freeflowing rideability that I had experienced in my youth. My freeride rig was just not......well freeride (if you know what I mean) but there was so much top end kit on it that it couldnt possibly be at fault.
To cut a long story short I won an old school Kona Hananna off ebay with slicks, straight bars and project 2's. I fixed it up with spare parts and took it for a spin. OMG - it was horribble, super fast but RIGID!. I had made a mistake (became scared of buckling wheels bunny hopping up kerbs) but not to be beaten and knowing the steel frame was the heart of this project I added some knobblys, risers and a sus fork.........

It was like the holly grail not super light but well.....perfect. perfect geometry, perfect handling, it went up, it went down, in fact I was out for so long that the missus phoned me because she was worried "where have you been for the past six hours?". I have'nt been this happy with a bike since I was 17 (some 14yrs ago :( )

Conclusion: Its steel, its retro, it rules. (and here I am)

Ok. so the components are'nt that retro and the frame is at the powder coaters as we speak and its getting a full Sram/race face drivetrain & HS33's but I think we can agree I have been taken to exactly where I want in my steed through the power of retro.

The Ubernewber.

Yup, I love my Mantra for its novelty value and bling factor, but the ride does not compare to my Kona.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Pics of the Hahanna project as requested...

pbpic1934931.jpg

pbpic1934929.jpg

Anybody know what year the frame is? It has pannier mounts and the seat tube is oval where it joins the bottom bracket shell. Yep I know the decals are pretty warn - taa

Operative":4fk5j0q4 said:
Are the pics working? They come up at home but not at work???

Nope - Not at my home.
But welcome, anyway!

I had a Hahanna as my only bike for years.
Never should have let it go.

nice one dude. my story is similar to yours but i have rescued my 94 fire mountain which i bought myself when i was 15. its a mix of period upgrades and a few modern bits but it makes a quick blast in the woods so much more rewarding than on my stinky.

top one fella

Bit of a puzzle this one. They only used dropouts in that style in 92 and 93 and the head tube looks quite fat (i.e., the top tube looks quite thin), so I guess it must be one or the other of those, and fairly certainly the paint isn't original either way.

What do you think?
http://www.konaretro.com/articles/catal ... 993/11.jpg

I don't suppose you're sad enough to find out the frame number are you? (Carefully positioned on the bb shell under the plastic cable guide!)

Back