Can any identify these retro Campag bits?

Sorry to bother you all again. I've got some more Campag parts that i'm strugling to identify.

I've done some more research this time and reckon they are from 1993 or 1994 as the the levers aren't smooth and because after 1994 the model names were printed.

Also, reckon they are a cheaper model as the gear lever is black.

Other than that i can't find anything out. Can any of you help?

Cheers

imagerukm.jpg

imagegizl.jpg

imagevxt.jpg

imagedda.jpg

those levers look like mirage or veloce. rounded rubbers makes them post 98 (I think). all the campag catalogues are in the archive, so you only need a a few minutes to download them and check through to find the exact model.

Someone posted a similar group on LFGSS recently and I trawled through the catalogues then.

You're correct that groupset names were added to components from 1995, so these are all C-Record era ('88-'94).

If memory serves, the Ergos are 1994 Athena: the black shift levers are unique. Only a couple of different Ergos were produced pre-'95, with Record, Chorus and Athena using the same part.

Again from memory, I think the rear derailleur is 1993 Veloce. Both Veloce and Athena had closed upper jockey wheel cages and concealed lower pivot bolts, but Athena had "Campagnolo" engraved on the mounting bolt.

Front mechs are difficult to pin down, with few differences throughout the C-Record era. On account of the finish I think this is Veloce and from the latter period ('91-'94).

As I say I'm working from memory, but the above is a good starting point and gives you an idea of what to look for.

EDIT
Re-reading the thread and Foz's comments in particular, I think he is right (or at least I am wrong): presumably the name has just rubbed off of the levers.

This had me a little confused yesterday (probably due to a slight new year's hangover), so I've just had another look at the catalogues. Ergo levers with black shift levers and no name on the body were only available in the 1993 and 1994 catalogues.

In 93 it was just the veloce group that had black shift levers.

In 94 it was athena, veloce and stratos.

I actually think yours might be veloce from either 93 or 94, since they appear to have a "satin" finish to the lever blades, and from the catalogue both athena and stratos in 94 appear to have the more standard polished finish. I might be wrong though, since the catalogue pics are hard to make out the exact finish.

What got me was the rounded rubbers - they've obviously been changed at some point from the old pointy tops to more modern rounded tops.

hope this helps!

Andy

Yeah, these Ergo's are Veloce. The black plastic changer lever was used on the cheaper Veloce/Mirage units of this period. The ill-fitting rubber hoods are from the later 9sp sets.

Back