Winter Bike Recomendations

Far too many people these days are just having a slightly less nice summer bike as their winter bike.

Dedicated winter frame with proper guard clearance!

I really don't see the point in a summer bike with clip on guards. Alot of people in the local club use them to sound of rub rub rub....

cce":1belgu5l said:
Far too many people these days are just having a slightly less nice summer bike as their winter bike.

Dedicated winter frame with proper guard clearance!

Call me old school, but this is one of my pet hates seeing a nice bike out when the weather is poo.

This last month I've seen far too many carbon Colnago's and De Rosa's out in the Peak District (without mudguards). If you can afford one of them you should be able to afford a winter ride !

My current winter bike is my 23-1/2" framed Carlton Corsa from Aug 1975.

Recently treated it to some new Cateye LEDs, top of the range SKS guards and new brake blocks. This one is only 5-speed with a 22 tooth rear sprocket, a bit fierce on some of Plymouth's hillier parts - but you soon get used to it. I currently use this as my commuter bike too.

On Plymouth Barbican, 1st January 2013.

P1011211_zpsbf5f0b1f.jpg

P1011209_zpsec712017.jpg

Nice

Thats really nice spokesmann :cool:
I was looking forward to a nice ride this morning as it was quite clear last night after days of rain, but alas it is very cloudy/misty and the hail is coming down at a 45 degree angle :( Maybe this afternoon.
Happy New Year
Jamie

Re: Nice

Jamiedyer":2xrt60b4 said:
Thats really nice spokesmann :cool:
I was looking forward to a nice ride this morning as it was quite clear last night after days of rain, but alas it is very cloudy/misty and the hail is coming down at a 45 degree angle :( Maybe this afternoon.
Happy New Year
Jamie

Thanks, Happy New Year to you Sir.

Living in sunny spain for the last few years, I've forgotten what a winter bike is :LOL:

that said, I did learn to ride a bike in the UK, and did have one for quite a while!

I think the main thing is mudguards (and a frame with clearance for them). they might look dorky, touristy, freddish, or whatever else you care to think of them, but they are absolutely essential. There is nothing worse than riding in cold wet weather and being soaked with cold dirty water thrown up from the wheels. this will turn a nice ride into a nightmare pretty quickly! They also mean a lot less bike cleaning, as it will generally avoid most of the muck if it has them fitted.

As for parts, well I always used to use the old battered stuff until it literally wore out, but that's because I was a skint student and couldn't afford anything better :( Get something reliable if you can, as there's nothing worse than being miles from home (or anywhere else), in freezing wet weather, with a mechanical that you can't fix but that could have been avoided with better equipment!

And make sure you get a frame that allows the same position or very close to it as your best bike!

Andy

to protect my vintage bikes i use this trusty bike for winter purpose not as fast as my 91 road bike but does the job plus dont have to worry about cleaning it..........much
p0101131357.jpg

Back