My aluminium bike I made in 1984 ----Plus restoration

paint

started to paint the frame tubes with etch primer,had to get my son to do the masking around the lugs my eyes are not what they used to be, will do the red top coat tomorrow if the weather is not too hot,went for a ride today 35 deg C too hot.

Attachments

• etch primer.JPG
    etch primer.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 326
dura ace 7400 crankset

found this crank set on ebay its in about the same condition as the super record that I have been using on this bike since 1985 not sure if its a backward step to replace it but the Dura ace one will make the group set complete, or keep looking for a NOS one!

Attachments

• cranks.JPG
    cranks.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 321
almost NOS shifters

my new shifters arrived today, thay are in great condition ( look at the old ones) this was my most intense ebay battle so far I was bidding at work on my phone I had to have them they are hard to find in this condition most are smashed at the front like mine. The first STI shifters were bullet proof my old ones still worked perfect after my crash a testament to the first design as Shimano had a lot riding on there success of this system and a failure in the pro peleton would have been a disaster.

Attachments

• shifters.JPG
    shifters.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 318
top job! and a great find on those sti's. those cranks look in pretty good shape, so I wouldn't spend the money on nos ones. these are more 'user friendly' ;)

Only the three main tubes are painted all the rest of the frame is polished.the seat tube is also the seat post with a seat mount on top.

monza red top coat, I will give it a few days to harden and wet rub with 2000 wet and dry paper to give a flat surface without orange peal then cut and polish paste and final wax.

Attachments

• top coat 2.JPG
    top coat 2.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 385
WOW

WOW :shock:
Thats looking really lovely so far :cool:
keep the updates coming.
I see the beetle is still in the background and the red looks very similar ;)
Two excellent vehicles for sure, love that beetle :cool:
Just come back from a week at Wolfsburg last month, my friend works there, very cool place.

Jamie

Yes, a bit of a setup shot there, can you guess what my favourite colour is, my wife drives a red Toyota too! :D I am on summer holidays from work at the moment and can work a bit on the bike while my wife is at work, tomorrow I would like to polish the sundry frame parts . The front derailleur, bibon mounts have custom bands as I didn't want to drill any holes in the frame,the seat post is very short and is held in by a hidden Allen screw.

Back