stupid garage

mine too ..... there has been som much rain, it has gotten under the door and been absorbed by the carpet - about 1 m2. :(

not much I can do other than open the door to let it dry out - more worried about the drill press and vice getting rusty than mtb.

... but look on the bright side, with the amount of rain we haver had, I predict 2013 will be the driest on record.

02gf74- 2 things you need to do:

If you don't have a dehumidifier, open the door and get at least one fan going at floor level to circulate the air and help dry it out.

Go to a fastener/tooling store and pick up an aerosol can of tool saver. Spray it on the drill press column/table, vise, and anything else that will rust. It will leave a waxy film on it, and also has anti rust agents in it.

If you don't want to or cannot install a dehumidifier then you can create a draft through the garage instead (air vents, window etc)
Work on the old drafty barn principle, things tend to stay dry and not rust in an old drafty barn.

02gf74":2g2uexwe said:
mine too ..... there has been som much rain, it has gotten under the door and been absorbed by the carpet - about 1 m2. :(

Get rid of the carpet and remove everything off the floor unless you can raise it on something non absorbent

another one for dehumidifier..relatively cheap to run and when you see how much water it absorbs you will be suprised

I would make room for anything that might suffer in your house, until Spring when you can attend to the problem.

If it is a detached building and poorly insulated there is no way you will solve the issue satisfactorily without major work.

that's the sort of thing but need one with a tube / pipe as well so can run out of garage otherwise once tank is full it stops and have to keep emptying.......

Back