Gun Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koupe":8w2fv8vp said:
Also, to drag the thread even further off topic (which can only be a good thing) - I've always maintained that instead of a death penalty, murderers/rapists/etc should be used indefinitely for experimental medical and surgical work. That way, society gets something worthwhile back from them (not that it would fully compensate for the crime) and fewer animals get tortured in labs. Win/win.

I seem to remember someone a few years ago that believed that such experiments were a good idea on people they considered less than human.

I like to think there is so much more uniting us than dividing us.

Most of us love guns on a personal level, we all ran around playing cowboys and Indians as kids.

The political side of it is a hot potato.

So many people are killed ever year in auto-mobile incidents.

We don't seem to contemplate banning cars on that basis.

We seem to accept it is the driver not the car that kills.

It is easy for us to criticize the USA, but we ought to remember the history of the USA is so fresh, and so much of their freedom was won by the gun.

I don't buy the gun/car comparisons.

In this day and age a car is for many a necessary tool. The same simply can not be said of guns. I accept farmers, the military and police for example have legitimate reasons for owning a firearm as a tool of the trade. The roles where this is acceptable to me represent a relatively small proportion of the population. Why do office workers, teachers or healthcare workers need to own a gun? They don't really, however they do need to get to work everyday and especially in the US that is heavily reliant on owning a car.

Also most road fatalities I would hazard a guess are accidental with no malice. I don't know but I imagine there is a much higher percentage of malicious shootings.

On a personal note, I have always fancied clay shooting and owning a nice shotgun. I have to admit that as machines go, they can be incredibly beautiful in their efficiency. However living in the middle of London I accept this isn't suitable and even if that were not a consideration, I would never use the argument of it being a tool.

B77":c6baiucr said:
The gun lobby constantly reminds us they are not all gun nuts yet in response to the massacre of 27 people they demand trained marksmen because 'To stop a bad man with a gun it takes a good man with a gun'

This is where the uninformed get confused. The gun lobby..could you be more precise? The nra does not represent every gun owner and never has and using them as all gun owners is rather incorrect..the nra support no one other than the nra and it's members and most of their members I suggest know something needs to change as most of them will be parents too

What the f**k ? That is from their president for christs sake apparently the most rational and best man they have, not really convincing is it ?

ermmmm Nope...it was not the president but one of the chief execs of the nra..again correct information would be usefull

The US is not a young country

Again by country standards it is a young country, I don't think I said it was the youngest, could you show me where i said that because I'm sure I did not..thanks

This whole thing which came across (to me anyway) in Sylus post, 'it's an american problem so you lot don't have a say' kind of attitude,

Well as per the previous questions/statements within this very post..your perception and what actually happened are two very different things

I did point out we are always bitching about the u.s. interfearring in brits business but we seem quite okay doing the reverse..no where did i say no one from outside the u.s. was not entitled to an opinion

ok, fine. I for one think we should just fence the US off and let them get on with it because as far as I'm concerned a country where the rich can literally get away with murder as long as they have a good lawyer, an a country that epouses it's 'divine right' to invade the a-rabs in the name of democracy, and a country that has an human rights record on a par with China, where anyone has access to methods of killing a lot of people at once is the biggest threat facing the rest of humanity.

I wonder being in France wether you studied the french invasions of other countries within french history believing also they were the chosen ones offering divine teachins to the less ignorant? as to arabs, look up france in north africa ..you shall be enlightened..as to fencing a country in..france has been a country most want fenced in for sometime :LOL:

And Sylus your argument of Coyote/Wolf/Cougar attacks is laughable. I've been looking in a few places,
Fatal Coyote attacks 2,
Fatal Wolf Attacks 0 although some people have died from rabies,
Fatal Cougar 20, since records began around 1865).
That isn't to say people have,'t been bitten but considering the amount of theses animals that are shot for sport each year I think that counts as retribution of a sort.

Could you share where you got those figures? Did they also happen to declare how many attacks were avoided by the use of a gun? I'd be interested to know

I wouldn't call you a pinko...your as clearly passionate about your entitled view as others are, albeit based mostly on emotive non experience rather than exprience and correct information

I hope the cats get well but be carefull...someone will call for a ban on cats soon

As long as we're heaping abuse on gun crimes in America-What about Breivik over in Denmark on the European Continent, gunning down 75 mostly teenagers and blowing up a bomb or two, I guess they have a good handle on gun control there, too...

brivick had a 9 year plan that no gun control would have put a stop to. apperently he also tryed several times in several countries to got hold of guns illegal and legal. lanza killed his mum a stole her guns, even the simplest form of gun control would have stopped that.

We do have some gun control laws here, you have to pass a background check before you can purchase a gun-I guess if you make a 9 year plan to get your weapons and succeed, then it's OK in Denmark? How about this one in the UK-I guess the laws didn't stop it either? B77--A recent event in France...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 175
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back