Rock Lobster!

bigbenj_08

Retro Newbie
Built this up recently for a charity ride, I usually ride downhill but do love a good xc hardtail...

Frame: Rock Lobster
Forks: 2004 Marzocchi Bomber MX Comp Air 105mm
Groupset: Brand new Deore 10sp groupset (Gears, cranks, brakes)
Wheels: Merlin Handbuilt Shimano 495 Disc Hubs, Sun Equalizer rims and DB spokes.
Tyres: Charge Splashback 1.8
Seatpost: Spank (from the spare parts bin)
Bars: Easton EA30
Stem: Carbon Cycles 80mm
Saddle: Charge Spoon

temporary-82.jpg

2nd ride on it was 51 miles from Brecon to Cardiff along the Taff Trail! Was brilliant, love the frame, really really comfortable ride!

Forks definitely need a service though!

Very nice!
I'm building up a frame almost exactly the same as yours at the moment.
Really nice riding frames these :cool:

Thanks guys :)

I dont suppose anyone is able to tell me what year it is?

Had some issues with the forks so got some 2013 Rebas on the way, hoping to have it restored/painted in the new year!

Have to say, its a lovely bike to ride!

Based on the forks, the frame is from about 2004, however Merlin sold those 853 Lobsters from about 2003 to about 2010 or even 11, in fact they still have one for sale albeit 15"

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... ter-bikes/

The builds Merlin did which started at about £1000 were always winning awards, I've got an MBR somewhere where they're reviewing steel framed bikes and the Rock Lobster won, it was the same frame as yours and the mag must be from 2002 or 2003.

Ahh, the forks may be misleading... I got the frame on its own, but somehow stumbled across the forks in the classified so snapped em up for £50!

As it stands, the whole build has cost about £360 (excluding the rebas I just got that is).

Back