Colnago Master Pui Decor - to respray or not..

would be a real crime to respray it as it would ruin the value i agree on the others touch up will be much better :)

I have had very good luck respraying single tubes or small areas on bikes where i wanted to retain the original patina. This one has a fade over the area to be repaired which will be a challenge but a talented painter should be able to replicate the look.

ScillySuffolk":avtbma9t said:
I was interested to read this, as my Olagnero has a similar sticker which notes that Dossena Carlo used a mica pearl varnish.

I wouldn't get the Nag resprayed if it were mine; as suggested above a sympathetic touch-up job will make the world of difference.

Being under the top tube it won't be immediately obvious and a bike of this quality is worth preserving in its original paint.

I'll take "patina" over "pristine" any day: it's only original once!

I also have an Olagnero with a Carlo Dossena pearl job, he did a lost of gorgeous lacquer work around Milan...hope you find someone who can renovate decor paintwork! :)

bit late on this thread but i've seen work completed by "chips away" - mobile painters (usually for car showroom work) who do a mint job and it doesn't cost the earth. Only issue is you will need the pantone matching number which might prove tricky. the option is to give them a call and see if the franchise chap near you can nip down and give you his opinion.

agreed, not the easiest job to solve but it's a phone call - see if it's possible, nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

they used to do the cars at a garage I used to work at & it was remarkable what could be achieved - big $ for a full panel re-spray or about 60 notes as I recall for an in-fill and you couldn't see it once they'd done it. The spray gun tip is tiny so they can work on small areas rather than one large sweeping stroke - looking at your frame they could probably work on each scratch in isolation keeping the undamaged paint in situ.

i'd be loathed to respray that frame in full - it looks really nice apart from those pesky scratches!

Will they sand down the rusted areas then spray over? Your prob right and maybe worth a call. It's not just the paint, they would need to remove the surface rust below as well. If they can do that then it might be worthwhile doing it

they'll 'prep' the area else they won't have a key for the new paint - quite how far they will go with your frame I really couldn't say. am sure they'd give you an honest opinion though, after all i'm sure they deal with "retro" cars and they must come across all sorts of issues. the advantage is they will come to your property so if there's one local to you it's no hardship for them to come and have a look and give you some advice? may be a no-goer, may just be a solution...

Back