wash them bikes after use!!

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Or pay the price !!

Been riding loads of club rides and got slack on cleaning my bikes after use in some really rubbish states :oops:

Pulled out a granted modern costly steed and the rear wheel is now all pitted from salt and the chain is trash :twisted: :roll:

obvious but easy overlooked :twisted:

Oooh, nasty. You were rather unlucky to find any salt. It's all been washed off the roads around here. Plenty of potholes opening up though. I went for a ride today and I can only imagine it as being the same as a ride through Venice!

Iwasgoodonce":o8xqkkh8 said:
Oooh, nasty. You were rather unlucky to find any salt. It's all been washed off the roads around here. Plenty of potholes opening up though. I went for a ride today and I can only imagine it as being the same as a ride through Venice!

Well I am guessing its salt that has caused it , Like little pin spots of jellow substance that when washed off can see pitted marks :twisted:

daj":2l05aitf said:
Well I am guessing its salt that has caused it , Like little pin spots of jellow substance that when washed off can see pitted marks :twisted:

Sounds like salt. Where there little white fuzzy marks on the rim? A sure sign of alloy corrosion.

I always give the mtb's a good wash with a hose when I get home and before they go back in the garage. With the road bike, I tend to sling it on the work stand when I get home and once I've changed I give it a good clean with a rag and some GT85, including hubs, brakes, cable runs etc, but excluding the brake tracks of course :roll:

No salt on the roads around here, just debris washed down the road with all the rain :evil:

A big part of why I don't ride on the road in the winter.

If I'm gonna have to wash the bike anyway (which is definitely not my favourite task) then it might as well be muddy!

I'll save the road bike for dry roads in summer time. :LOL:

I smear a light grease on alloy parts apart from rims. It isn't that noticeable and it keeps all that sort of stuff off.

NeilM":1u3rip6k said:
firedfromthecircus":1u3rip6k said:
I'll save the road bike for dry roads in summer time. :LOL:

Not done much road riding this year then.

I did actually get a few rides in. :?

I remember it being a rubbish summer for rain, but I'm sure there were still a few days when the roads were dry enough. :?

Besides, wet is OK as long as it's not salty wet, as we have from November to April. :x

firedfromthecircus":28iz35if said:
I remember it being a rubbish summer for rain, but I'm sure there were still a few days when the roads were dry enough. :?

You're right, it was a rubbish summer for rain.

We make our own hay, for the horses, and you need a week of dry weather to cut, dry, turn and bale it. We had one week in July, when the local farmer was too busy to get to our little 1.5 acres, and then another week in September when we just managed to get it done and stacked before it started raining again.

As you say, wet is fine, as long as there is no salt.

Down here it has been warm enough not to need salt, and wet enough to drown a fish :roll:

Back