Could I get my mojo workin'? Finished with pics...

Here's an update on the build, after a longer absence:

mojoprogress27u0y.jpg

I'm aiming towards a "'Scorcheresque" build. This will be a retro/classic build for scorchin' the city! I'm not converting the frame to singlespeed dropouts yet, so a Surly chain tensioner is necessary. These are the components so far:

I found a matching stem from ibis.
Cranks are Sugino Mighty Tours.
Pedals are GT's for now.
Tires are Kenda Kranium in skinwall.
Seat is a Brooks Team Professional Chrome.
Brakes will be Dia Compe 987 with Old Style Dia Compe Touring Levers.
A King Headset holds a Lung I Big fork Clone in place...

The fork ist temporary, till I find a nice Koski or Tange fork in chrome.

I ordered a Soma Lauterwasser CroMo Bar that should add nicely to the scorcher theme.

If anybody wonders why not going fixed...
First of all despite all fixter hype, I won't discard proper brakes for coolness! But most importantly the Hand Job needs to be used!

That's it so far.

Cheers
Dan

Thanks mate!

Magic Gear will probably be a 17T instead of the now installed 16T Freewheel. After the chain is broken in that should work...

Cheers
Dan

Damn! That's beautiful! My size too...
If you ever feel you're rushing it, I know of a good home where time is immaterial.,

@ mkaavin: Jeah baby...
I just watched the Austin Powers movies again... So this mojo is not falling in the hands of Dr. Evil...

Cheers everybody and a Happy New Years Eve!

Dan

Not a fan of those bars, but that bike looks great! I may never understand why a Syncros Ti post isn't right, though...

The Syncros post is definitely one of the more desireable seatposts ever made, but in this case, everything is either polished aluminium, or chromed steel! The ti post has slightly different silver colour wich nags at the overall look.
But since this is a minor problem, it will stay for now.

Considering the bars, I actually wanted to try dropbars for quite some time.
The last dropbars i rode where on my 20" wheeled Schwinn 2 speed racer (build from scrap parts) back in the '70s. The scorcher theme just gave me an excuse to try that.
The Lauterwassers are actually the only ones that would work with the given stem. The stem is a given, because of its matching paintjob.

The overall looks of the bike is pretty much what I was aiming for!

Cheers and thank you for your comments!

Dan

Re: Could I get my mojo workin'?

I got my mojo workin'....!

Finally after waiting 6 weeks for nice weather, the mojo is back on the streets.
And boy is it workin'... it has surpassed my expectations by far!

This is one sweet neutral and fast ride. The Lauterwasser bars give me a really nice sporty but not to uncomfortable position with good control over the bike.
So far I'm quite happy with the position on the bike, very centered and nice around the corners. On very fast tight corners I haven't pushed the tires to their max yet, but it seems all well. All in all much better then expected. Some impressions:

mojofin1shuu5.jpg

mojonat0acsha.jpg

mojonat4zcsp3.jpg
mojonat2uqsiv.jpg

mojonat3vws6e.jpg

mojonat5n6s8b.jpg

If the mojo continues to impress on longer rides, I might go the full distance and have track ends soldered in during next off season...

Final build specs:

1996 ibis mojo teal green
ibis quill stem teal green
Soma "Lauterwasser" bars chromed steel
Cromo Fork (Lung I ?)
King Grip Nut headset
Dia Compe touring levers (w Paul adjusters)
Dia Compe 987 Brakes
ODI Toadstool grips
Sugino Mighty Tour cranks
Sugino 48t Chainring
Sunrace bottom bracket
GT Flatpedals
Kalloy Seatpost
Brooks Team Pro Chrome saddle
Paul W.O.R.D. Hubset 32h
WTB Powerbeam Rims
DT Spokes
Kenda Kranium Tires (skinwalls oem from WTP Champ cruiser)
DX Freewheel 16t
KMC 610HX chain
Surly Singleator chain tensioner

To finish this off, I'm looking for a chromed Tange Durango or Big Fork. A Koski Dura Trac would be even better but probably unobtainium in 1 1/8" and long steerer (210mm threaded).

Cheers
Dan

Back