Gun Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I disagree with pretty much all of that apart from the penis issues bit :LOL:

We lived in wilds of India for a year where there are more dangerous animals than you can shake a stick at including tigers, surprise surprise my small prey sized daughter wasn't mauled once.
I also spent 6 months around Norway and Finland where bears, lynx and wolves are reasonably common and didn't once have a problem although one of the blokes had his quad seat chewed up one night....
If in the supremely unlikely event that a child was attacked by say a cougar or bear are you really going to have a pop at it with a gun ?

Anyway my views on hunting purely for sport aren't the issue here, it seems that most people are in favour of a ban on assault rifles which I suppose shows that most people aren't total fuckwits ;)

I am glad this thread did not descend into a bun fight.

That indicates the maturity of the members on this forum, and the combined knowledge and experience.

If nothing else, we owe the victims of all these tragedies a considered dialogue.

I had to go out and shoot a sheep the other night.

If all guns were banned/held somewhere without 24/7 access we would have had to call a vet.

"If in the supremely unlikely event that a child was attacked by say a cougar or bear are you really going to have a pop at it with a gun?" -------Well I certainly would! What would you do, let them get mauled or killed? If so, then you are a bigger idiot than you already appear...

FairfaxPat":a23dtvsc said:
"If in the supremely unlikely event that a child was attacked by say a cougar or bear are you really going to have a pop at it with a gun?" -------Well I certainly would! What would you do, let them get mauled or killed? If so, then you are a bigger idiot than you already appear...

Seems like I wasn't too clear. What was meant was every time your kid goes out to play are you going to arm yourself to the teeth just in case they get attacked by a wild animal and stand guard over them ?

B77":2mh73fs6 said:
Seems like I wasn't too clear. What was meant was every time your kid goes out to play are you going to arm yourself to the teeth just in case they get attacked by a wild animal and stand guard over them ?

Perhaps like any type of insurance, you evaluate the risk, plan for it happening..and hope it never does

sylus":o261v909 said:
B77":o261v909 said:

Perhaps like any type of insurance, you evaluate the risk, plan for it happening..and hope it never does

Just done it and no I don't have anything better to do.

Number of fatal bear attacks on children/under 18s since 1980 in the US.....74

Number of bears shot whilst attacking children/under 18s since 1950........0

Number of children/under 18s murdered by firearms in 2011 alone.......565

Sources Wikipedia, U.S fish and widlife.

Doesn't take a genius to see that something is very wrong, hell I'm an idiot (thanks Pat) and even to my limited brain there is something not entirely right.

Maybe to get the bear attack numbers up to more acceptable levels the nra should demand..........

The right to arm bears.

B77":3qvoqbv5 said:
Number of fatal bear attacks on children/under 18s since 1980 in the US.....7

epic

Bram J":p5t9bml2 said:
B77":p5t9bml2 said:
Number of fatal bear attacks on children/under 18s since 1980 in the US.....7

epic

Epic indeed..had they been true

Lets get one thing straight if we can, no one in this thread has said leave guns well alone and all have said americas love affair with guns needs to be looked and and something needs to change..that alone is epic

Bram I respect that you say you lived in India and some of the nordic states and your experience was there was no issue. Can I ask..have you lived in the u.s. ? This might make your opinion a fuller informed say as your previous country information

Again I respect your determination for your view but may I say using Wikipedia as a definate is never going to win an argument

U.S. fish and wildlife I pressume you mean the u.s. fish & wildlife service?...could you post me the link you used for those figures... for two reasons

firstly..like many government services they are state based and as such mostly reflect the individual states situation. Also as you didn't mention it did they also show the situations re coyote's, mountain lions, pumas etc and within those figures do they show attacks dettered through the use of a firearm?

You should also know that they have the u.s. forestry service which again is a seperate entity and reports things mostly as individual states

I ask because then a fuller and more correct "epic" picture maybe painted rather than the selective wikipedia option :D

so please if you would be so kind as to post the links it would help understand an issue fuller which I am sure we are all attempting to do
Thanks

I think you replied to the wrong person, I think you meant to address B77. ;)
Plus I'm pretty sure there are more minors shot dead in the US than there are minors killed by wildlife of any kind. If I am correct on this then anyone has to acknowledge that the removal of guns from society will lead to less kids being killed. Of course the decision is up to the US citizens, and I understand very well that the subject is sensitive. I'm also not of the opinion that anyone who owns a gun is a nutjob, just that less guns will lead to less deaths. Of course anything between a complete ban and no ban should be considered, but I myself would opt for an almost complete ban. I also think the decision should be left up to the individual states, not the federal government. Living in Alaska is very different from living in New York. For ranchers a gun is a useful 'tool', for someone living in a big city a gun is completely unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back