BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
As title suggests I'm after a bit of advice before I purchase a laptop. My desktop has pretty much had it and I don't want another due to size etc.
Budget of £400. For general use really, browsing the web, watching movies, playing music, emails etc.

I'm not a complete computer retard but I'm far from an expert so keep the advice fairly simple.

Is it worth getting Windows 8 or is 7 good enough?

Cheers

Sounds like a tablet is the way forward but for that money you should be in the lower sony viao or nice dell spec i5 territory.for what its worth my vaio doesnt get a look in now I have a tablet take a look at the microsoft surface as it has a keyboard or obviously an ipad as well as laptops

Its gotta be a laptop for now as the desktop is going and I need something with a proper keyboard for a bit of work use. I've been told that I should be looking for at least 2ghz and 4-6gb of RAM?

Yea dual core i3 or i5 with 6 or 8 gig of ram and your laughing now is the best time to buy tbey are practically giving them away

A 10" quality tablet would do you for that and you'll probably end up using it for more. Typing is not quite a quick and nice.
shame the Nexus10 still has no stock, a 7" might be usable (just got the wife one and it easy and nice to use, plus everything syncs with the android phones)

Other than that at eh £400 range, there is a hugh range. good look.
Win8 is a fraction better than Win7 once you've spent a week and got use to the new front interface, you'll find yourself on the normal desktop interface anyway on a laptop to get full browser setup but you quickly pick it up...
Moved all mine across now.

It will get better as more 'apps' are developed for the new interface and they are actively updating the core programs.

Maybe look at the cheaper touch/type Win8 ASUS vivoBook S200 for the sort of thing you are using. Win8 does work well with even my 2 finger touch AiO machine.

World your oyster really now, if not playing heavy graphics hitting games.

I would honestly pop into PCWorld/Dixons/Currys large store and have a play since you can. Even Tesco Extras have them out to have a play.

I say that as I find some trackpads annoying to use and their buttons, also you may not like the keyboard and especially the shiny screens, but it might just be me that hates them and goes for matt /semi-matt screen like the Samsungs. (or my older Dells and Toshiba M's)

Then pop to TopCashback or your favourite cashback site and look for vouchers (HUKD is pretty good for hidden bargains sometime, like Dell Deals)

But that looks fine if you like it's physical setup.

if I use a laptop at home...I use a separate keyboard and mouse.....defeats the object I s'pose.....

I have a decent year old Toshiba laptop for sale...

:p

A proper keyboard is advised - just take a look at the grammar and syntax of the above replies for evidence!

RAM of 2 meg or above just for handling the usual office/ web browsing. Windows 7 is perfectly ok for day to day use, heck, XP is still perfectly ok!

Back up everything as new machines dont come with back-up discs which is a real pain. Theres no provision if the hard drive completely fails.

Tablets are good up to a point but most budget models just replicate a decent phone - you are just doubling up unless you spend good money.

The desktop is still king for speed and rebuilding and display and playback and and and but yes, they are big, smelly and annoying.

Back