MacRetro chat and rides thread

No I've not, we tranquillise sheep with a captive bolt gun, they're terminally tranquil after that. Too much festive cheer more likely the answer, already eaten my first full Christmas dinner another tomorrow :D

Was having a look on TrailScotland and came across this
http://www.maryqueenofscotsway.com/

Stages 7,8,9, and 10 from Glendevon via Glenfarg, Falkland, Ceres to St. Andrews, mostly through Fife, might make a good weekend ride in the summer. Although some of it is tarmac on quiet roads most of it seems to be offroad, like the part that goes up to John Knox's Pulpit then down Maspie Den to Falkland.

I've ridden up to John Knox's Pulpit several times so if I can do it and the rest of the route is no more difficult it should be very enjoyable.
Having said that, we walked up to JK's Pulpit on Christmas Day and parts of track had been damaged by all the rain. Rutted badly in a few places, will only get worse with the continued pish weather too.

Oh, and the sandstone crag at JK's Pulpit has some large blocks of stone teetering on the top ready to join their pals that have already fallen off.

That looks quite promising OCP.

On a similar note did anyone catch 'The Scottish National Trail' last night? Cameron McNeish doing a 470mile off road(ish) end to end? Its should be on Iplayer and there are a few episodes still to broadcast.

I'll need to tune in, I only caught some snippets of it, but did see where we had ridden on the national and whilst recce'ing it.

Aye, none of it is new routes. It is all just parts of various other routes joined together as I understand it. Part of the route through the borders is the southern upland way.

Eric Larson riding his Moonlander to South Pole

Dont know how many are following this but thought I would post for those that might have missed it. Eric Larson is riding his Surly Moonlander to the South Pole. A women rode and skied it last year but from what I seen she skied nearly all of it with minimal time on the bike but Eric is attempting to do the whole 750 miles on his Moonlander.
Check his out his website. Cool dude :cool:

**** Update
Eric has turned back to Hercules base, he did so several days ago, I should have checked before posting this as I just linked out of my favourites, apologies :oops:
Definately still worth a visit and follow his return journey.
He's still cool and still an inspiration :cool:

http://www.ericlarsenexplore.com/

Jamie

Back