Yet another Roberts D.O.G.S... of a rebuild

You got a fun build on your hands there Neil.

I'm going to be interested to see the mix of old and new components and eager to know how it rides.

Good luck with the build....and don't forget those pictures....;) You know how I like those pictures :)

nevadasmith":nlqt7il9 said:
Looks great Neil - liking the Orange a lot.

Thanks Adrian, that's much appreciated.

Gathering parts at present, but having some trouble finding the right brake levers. I should be able to pick up some spokes next week, so at least I can get the front wheel built, the forks installed and get it up on two wheels.

UPDATE

After spending half an hour of my life working out how to mount the saddle on my USE Alien seatpost, I have to take my hat off to the engineers at USE, for taking a perfectly simple device and turning it into something almost incomprehensible.

However, in the end, with the aid of a massive application of grease to everything, a hammer and a pair of Mole Grips, I got the saddle on, NOT in it's final position, for the saddle obsessed amongst you.

Lot's of bits still to acquire and fit, steerer still to be trimmed, once I have the ride position worked out .

DSC_0191_zpsc5131ec6.jpg

I have abandoned the Ringle H2O bottle cage, as it just didn't look right. I also think that I'm going to leave the Ritchey stem in silver, as it sort of ties in with the forks and the top of the seatpost.

Cassette is a 11-36 and is the size of a dinner plate :shock: Still, I'm interested to see how 2 x 10 works out.

Bottom bracket is a Hope and I have adaptor rings for the SRAM X9 cranks that are yet to be installed.

Think that's it for the minute; more once the Postie has been with some transmission bits.

DSC_0189_zps8a2409e9.jpg

looking good, you're mixing a bit of modern with a bit of period stuff then?! will be interesting, I see what you mean about the rear cassette..... How big? :shock:

matt24777":6myampc8 said:
you're mixing a bit of modern with a bit of period stuff then?!

Yup, I tend to do this on all my builds as I love the older frames, but I also like V brakes, modern gears etc.

I had a long chat with Brian at Chas Roberts workshop on this very subject, as my feeling is that as long as the frame itself remains unaltered, then any components I choose to use on it, can be changed either by me, or someone else in the future.

At the very start of this thread I noted that the frame was not a D.B. S.E (Special Edition), this left me free to build it up as I chose. Had the bike been an SE, of which only ten were ever made, then I would have passed the frame on to someone like Carl or Gio who's skills are much higher than mine and who both build superb age related restorations.

As for the cassette; the lowest two ratios are noticeably bigger than their 3 x 9 (or 8 or 7) counterparts, but as this will be the third 2 x 10 that has been built in my workshop (my son built the first), I do know they work, and seem to work well. If it doesn't, then it'll be all change to a 3 x 9 setup and the 2 x 10 will go on something else.

FINISHED!

Well at least for the moment.

Spec Sheet.

Made: 1992

Columbus ovalised tube set.

Headset: Chris King threadless
Forks: Pace RC35
Stem: Ritchey Force lite
Bars: USE Atom – carbon
Bar Ends: X-Lite
Grips: WTB
Shifters: SRAM X0 Grip Shift – 10 speed

Bottom Bracket: Hope

Cranks: SRAM S1400 2 speed
Arm length: 175mm
Chainrings: SRAM 38/24
Front Mech: SRAM X9 – 2 x10 speed
Rear Mech: SRAM X9 – 2 x10 speed
Cassette: SRAM PG1050 – 12 - 36
Chain: SRAM PG1050

Pedals: Time Atac

Brakes: Cane Creek Direct Curve 2
Levers: Avid SD7

Seatpost: (26.8mm) 25mm USE Alien with shim
Seat: Charge Spoon

Bottle Cage: Elite

Hubs: Hope XC
Rims: Black Mavic XC717
Spokes: DT Swiss DB - black
Tyres: F&R: Schwalbe Nobby Nic
Skewers: USE Spin Stix titanium.

DSC_0198_zpsc3909a1e.jpg

DSC_0200_zps736f92b9.jpg

DSC_0201_zpse185e5d0.jpg

DSC_0202_zpsf5f6fd49.jpg

Not ridden it today, as it's been pis... wet all day (all bl**dy week).

Next photo's will have a high mud content.

Back