Is this a dead frame.

frame

posting says you are in Keighley. Why not pop in to Chris Marshall at Ingrow Bridge and let him have a look.
Tel 01535 691073. If its steel it would probably brass fill or at the very least you would get the opinion of a decent frame builder. Sometimes these things are easier to judge when you have the actual frame in your hands than by simply looking at a photo
Regards
Peter

Well funny you should say that I have been down to see him today. What a top bloke, oh and you see the stuff he has in his work shop. He was just polishing a Reynolds 9 something or on other road frame, he has made amazing work.

Anyway he is fixing my Nishiki mtb and wants to have a look at this one.

MADB":4n2arfat said:
Well funny you should say that I have been down to see him today. What a top bloke, oh and you see the stuff he has in his work shop. He was just polishing a Reynolds 9 something or on other road frame, he has made amazing work.

Anyway he is fixing my Nishiki mtb and wants to have a look at this one.

I delivered a frame to him for someone on here from Europe and had a chat with him - great workshop!! Nice bloke, if I ever had any frame repairs needing doing I would go to him for sure.

I had a frame with an awful dent on the seatstay. Since the frame was potential scrap anyway, I had a go at fixing it with some DIY tube blocks.

Like so:
tubeblocks.jpg

Two blocks of wood, bolt together, drill a hole through the middle. Then place over the frame tube with plenty of grease, and slowly tighten the bolts whilst rotating the blocks around the tube.

It did work - there were some ripples in the middle of where the dent was (not dissimilar to the skin on custard... or your elbow).

It would take some fancy woodworking to make blocks for tapered tubes... and I don't think it would work at all for ovalised tubes since you can't rotate the blocks.

Back