Cheep headset on CRC but missing parts???

Logic.Al":1d79cehq said:
It's just a flat black plastic cover over the bearings on the lower race. My lower bearings are in the wrong way round. Has anyone's got stuck on top of them inside the lower race?
I think your right , i was not looking hard enough at it :oops:
cheers paul

It's all there guys. The top aluminium part is around the top ball bearings and need moving up as per the pic. There is no missing bottom seal its all there - you're not buying XT totally sealed headsets or paying for them.

It's all there guys. The top aluminium part is around the top ball bearings and need moving up as per the pic. There is no missing bottom seal its all there - you're not buying XT totally sealed headsets or paying for them.

Anyone got a pic of theirs fitted?

Fitted mine but the top cup/cone has movement that I can't get rid of. I tightened the top cap right up, then the stem bolts but the steerer still slops around a little.

This isn't an issue for people that have them fitted to showbikes but I like to ride mine. :LOL:

I assumed the taller cup went at the bottom but there were no instructions so it's possible I got that wrong. The bearings are the right way up BTW.

I've fitted plenty of headsets and never had this issue before. :oops:

I pity those poor fools who paid £13 shipped for theirs.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ap+headset :twisted:

Mine seems to be fine. Fitted without any problems. But I haven't got wheels or brakes on bike yet so who knows. No worries if it doesn't tighten properly. Will just have to take the M-part of my Zaskar and buy a Chris King :)

FluffyChicken":12wea95f said:
There is an AN version (link above) and this is the AE version, oddly both are quite different in style. Also an A and an AS by the looks of it.

Page 165 of this, show diagram and tech info.
http://www.vpcomponents.com/tw/book/index.php?id=7
There should be a seal at the bottom. What type I don't know but try an o-ring.

Just checked that link out and the large cup does go at the bottom so I have no idea why my headset has play when everything is tightened up. :?

Logic.Al":2xnj3p7q said:
Mine seems to be fine. Fitted without any problems. But I haven't got wheels or brakes on bike yet so who knows. No worries if it doesn't tighten properly. Will just have to take the M-part of my Zaskar and buy a Chris King :)

I only noticed when I put the wheels on the built up frameset and pulled the brake to check if there was play. There was play on mine but I can't work out why TBH. :oops:

The compression ring is fitted correctly too but the whole adjusting cone seems to have a little movement.

Hmmm. I shall start looking for a new one just incase. Have to see if I can fit brakes and try it later.

Back