Raleigh thread (as in tpi)

Raleighracer

Retro Guru
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a new road bike, ideally a Raleigh as I already have one I made into a fixie. But I've always, and still have actually not achieved to get a bb that fits - I believe the headset is the same on the forks to??

So my question is which raleighs have normal threads, ideally I want to get one which have normal threads which some must have? See loads of raleighs with campag/high end shimano etc. So do Reynolds tubing ones have normal threads?

Somebody help please!!!

Cheers

Have done some more digging and it appears only some raleighs use the odd thread size, much happier after reading that, I shall have to try to change the bb in mine for a standard one and see.

Any advice still appreciated

Raleigh were such a large firm BITD that they made their own componenets........including their own TPI Bottom Bracket and head sets.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html

Higher end bikes and frames came with standard British BB's as did their later bikes.

Just a bit confused with your post..........do you have a raleigh frame and are looking for a new BB?

Shaun

Oh sorry, yes I have a Raleigh, a lower end frame which I believe to have Raleigh threads.

I would like to buy a new, to me, bike. Ideally starting with a Raleigh frame, but only if they come with standard threading to make buying bb's and headsets easier.

Are you saying then that if I purchased a Reynolds tubing model it would have standard threading?

Not sure what you want but a Road Ace IIRC has standard kit :)

or a Raleigh built Carlton.

What era? 70's 80's

Shaun

Raleigh bottom brackets are usually 26tpi as are headsets but later ones switched to 24tpi...both of which are readily avaliable. So go enjoy...
John

Back