Discount frames at On-One, today (27/12) only!

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Got an email from On-One today saying that if you use the code UKSTEELFRAMES you get extra off some frames. Today only though so be quick!

Prices quoted are:

Inbreds from £99.
Pompetamine from £99.
Pompino from £99.
Scandal from £124.99.
Scandal 29er from £149.99.

....and a couple of others.

Chainsuck/clearance issues really put me off. Quite tempted otherwise, and at that price, you'd sell it and nearly get your money back later anyway.

Got me thinking this, was dead tempted. Fancied a Kaffenback, but new one looks a bit busy with swap outs and cable guides for every twist and turn option! Plus forks. Also I seem to be I between large and XL. Looking for reasons not to buy one. I have a paul milnes Columbus zonal that needs building...

Fab deals though! :idea: :?

reanimation":2q6zwtx5 said:
Got me thinking this, was dead tempted. Fancied a Kaffenback, but new one looks a bit busy with swap outs and cable guides for every twist and turn option! Plus forks. Also I seem to be I between large and XL. Looking for reasons not to buy one. I have a paul milnes Columbus zonal that needs building...

Fab deals though! :idea: :?

I sold my Kaffenback a while back, I had the original version which was really nice. Heavier now with that ugly dropout system.

Only problem I had was that the headtubes were far too short and I had to have loads of spacers under the stem to make it comfortable.

brocklanders023":5amcprzp said:
Two of my chums have Inbreds and never have a problem with either ;)

I had 2 Inbreds, the first one was ok (it was the first model which was disc only) but paint was terrible and the finish was poor. I had to file the disc tab and dropouts to make them straight.

Then I had the limited edition 853 model. The frame design didn't promote chainsuck, but when it did happen (which it does with all drivetrains old and new) the design of the chainstay meant the chain jammed inbetween the rings and the stay.

I had a big gouge out of my chainstay but I sold the frame pretty quickly. My brothers chainstay snapped in the end, and it wasn't an isolated incident. The problem was that in the quest for loads of mud room Brant had designed the chainstay to bend out far too much at the tyre so the angle/space at the chainrings made the chain jam. My brother had a new chainstay (correctly designed and shaped with as much tyre clearance) put in by Argos cycles and hasn't had a problem since.

Brant's view on the subject was (and I quote) " hmmm I must sort that chainstay design out one day". Basically he knew it was a problem but didn't really care.

That's why I will never buy another On-One product I'm afraid.

Rob thats what I've noticed studying the geometrys. My 58 genesis fits great or seems to, and the L is lower and shorter, and the XL probs a tad long. And although its a bargain, I'd best not spend and it's a pity it's too fugly with those add ons!

Today it's bars stems seats BTW.

Rob Atkin":1hj3bs4u said:
brocklanders023":1hj3bs4u said:
Two of my chums have Inbreds and never have a problem with either ;)

I had 2 Inbreds, the first one was ok (it was the first model which was disc only) but paint was terrible and the finish was poor. I had to file the disc tab and dropouts to make them straight.

Then I had the limited edition 853 model. The frame design didn't promote chainsuck, but when it did happen (which it does with all drivetrains old and new) the design of the chainstay meant the chain jammed inbetween the rings and the stay.

I had a big gouge out of my chainstay but I sold the frame pretty quickly. My brothers chainstay snapped in the end, and it wasn't an isolated incident. The problem was that in the quest for loads of mud room Brant had designed the chainstay to bend out far too much at the tyre so the angle/space at the chainrings made the chain jam. My brother had a new chainstay (correctly designed and shaped with as much tyre clearance) put in by Argos cycles and hasn't had a problem since.

Brant's view on the subject was (and I quote) " hmmm I must sort that chainstay design out one day". Basically he knew it was a problem but didn't really care.

That's why I will never buy another On-One product I'm afraid.

That might be the one I saw on singletrack forums. Lovely repair job, but it really puts me off it in the first place. The price to correct I would rather a second hand Cotic or similar (actually probably a Sanderson for value for money).

Back